This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tostadas de Pollo (Chicken Tostadas) are a perfect way to reinvent leftovers.
We live for leftovers at my house. I always make extras of everything just so I won’t have to think about lunch the next day.
We work a lot around here, and there have been times (more than I would like to admit) that I do not have time to cook. I’ll be so focused on creating and researching recipes that I totally forget to actually eat food.
Then hangry Maggie happens. That sight ain’t pretty.
Don’t forget to Watch the Video on How to Make Tostadas de Pollo.
How to Make Tostadas de Pollo (Chicken Tostadas
To avoid Hangry Maggie:
- At the beginning of the week, I will defrost a whole chicken.
- Then cook it in a large pot with water, onions, garlic, and salt.
Plus, I get homemade chicken broth which I can use for another dish later in the week, or freeze it.
• With two forks, shred the cooked chicken.
• Refrigerate the shredded chicken until ready to use.
You want to be sure you do this when the chicken is cool enough to handle.
I’m also using breast meat, but you can use whatever cut of chicken you like. A great buy is a package of thighs.
Or, you can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. Ready-to-go from the store to table.
Another yummy dish with leftover chicken: Chicken Entomatadas. That’s one of my favorite Mexican recipes!
For your Tostadas de Pollo, you will need tostadas. I suggest buying them. It will make getting dinner or lunch on the table faster.
Or, you can make them at home with corn tortillas.
How to Make Homemade Tostadas:
- Preheat an oven at 400 degrees.
- Place a corn tortilla on a lined cookie sheet.
- Brush lightly with oil on both sides.
- Bake for 4 minutes. Flip and bake for another 4 minutes.
They are super easy to make, and they last a long time.
How to store tostadas: Place them in an airtight plastic bag. Try to remove the air from the bag, or as much as you can. Be careful not to break the tostadas.
They will last for several days outside of the fridge. I don’t recommend freezing tostadas because they will lose their texture. You’ll end up with soggy tortillas.
The ingredients for Tostadas de Pollo (Chicken Tostadas) are very simple. That’s why this is such a great dish. It’s an easy Mexican lunch idea, or a time-saving weeknight dinner.
You can also add:
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Chopped Cilantro
- Refried beans
- Cheese – Cotija, Queso Añejo, Queso Fresco, or whichever one tickles your fancy.
Stack ’em high, and give ’em a try.
However, it can be tough to fit everything on top of the tostada. Use your best judgement when assembling. Remember: “Some assembling may be required.” Lol.
FYI: I used crema mexicana in the video. You can also use sour cream.
• Add the chicken on top of the tostada shell.
Usually, I would add refried beans to help act like the glue between the toppings and the tostada.
On my recent trip down the Baja California Peninsula, I had a few tostadas with mayonnaise instead of the refried beans. It’s surprisingly delicious! You gotta give this a try. It is definitely something I recommend if you are into mayonnaise.
For those of you who do not like chicken, here are some other tostada ideas:
- Tostada de Atún (Tuna Tostada)
- Camarones al Ajillo (Shrimp in a Spicy Garlic Sauce)
- Salpicón de Res
- Lentil Tostadas
- Grilled vegetables
- Pork Carnitas
- Grilled Tofu (for my vegan friends)
- Vegetarian Bean Tostadas (for my vegetarian friends)
- Chorizo and Egg Tostadas
• Add the rest of the desired toppings to your Tostadas de Pollo.
This dish is an entertainers wish. Serve it buffet style, and let all your guest create their own Mexican food masterpieces. Hope you enjoy!
Chicken Tostadas (Tostadas de Pollo)
- Add chicken to a large stock pot.
- Add enough water to cover (about 4 cups), ½ onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 tablespoon salt.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool.
- Discard the onion and the garlic.
- Store the chicken broth in a separate container for later use.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- To prepare the tostada, add about 2 tablespoons of the shredded chicken.
- Add the toppings - lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, crema mexicana, etc.
- Be sure not to load the tostada too much, or it will be difficult to eat.
- Eat by carefully picking up the tostada with both hands, just like a pizza.
- Serve with a fork. Some of the toppings are sure to fall on the plate.Enjoy!
Don’t forget to Pin this for Later.
Follow me on Pinterest.
More Mexican Chicken Recipes:
Ensalada de Pollo, or Creamy Mexican Chicken Salad, is a Mexican recipe that’s a party favorite – a fiesta for your mouth and your guests as well. It consists of chicken and vegetables dressed in a creamy mayonnaise dressing. It’s easy, delicious, and perfect for any gathering.
Mexican Deviled Chicken (or Pollo a la Diabla) is a Mexican food favorite. Delicious, flavorful, and not too spicy. Serve with a side of rice, salad, and enjoy!
Milanesa de Pollo (Chicken Milanese) is a yummy dish that comes together in under 30 minutes. Serve with a salad or french fries, and enjoy this scrumptious recipe.