Salpicón de Res is a cold, Mexican beef salad served with a lime-vinegar vinaigrette. Usually served on top of a tostada. It’s a great way to use up leftovers and ideal for parties.
As a busy mom, I love leftovers. Heat up and serve. Or, cut the next meal’s cooking time in half, and dinner is ready. One of my favorite dishes to make whenever I have leftover roast: Salpicón de Res. Since it’s cold, you can even make this ahead of time. Love that!
You don’t need a lot of the leftover roast for this recipe. About 4 cups or so. This is a chuck roast, but you can use any cut of beef.
My worry is to be at a party and have that raw onion breath. YUCK! These pickled onions do not have that raw onion taste and are soooo good! They are the same Mexican Pickled Onions that we use on Cochinita Pibil except I’m using a white onion. Again, this is something you can do ahead of time.
The vinaigrette is tangy but yummy. I’m using both white vinegar and lime, but you could use one or the other, depending on your taste.
Make the lime-vinegar vinaigrette and set aside until ready to use.
Combine all the ingredients. Then place your Salpicón de Res in the refrigerator until ready to use. Do you see why this recipe is great for parties? I love food that involves little time in the kitchen when you have guests over and want to mingle.
Top your crunchy tostadas with a few tablespoons of the Salpicón de Res, avocado sices, cilantro, and salsa. It’s a delicious recipe that moms, potlucks attendees, and party-goers will love.
Watch How to Make Salpicón de Res
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of Whole Oregano
- 2 cups cooked shredded beef
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- ½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
- ¼ pickled onion slices
- 2-3 tablespoons of Onion Pickling Juice (or substitute with lime juice)
- In a bowl, add lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- (Crush the oregano slightly in your hand before adding).
- Whisk to combine.
- Set aside.
- In a large container, add the beef, tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, pickled onions, pickling juice, lime-vinegar vinaigrette.
- Mix well.
- Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To serve, top tostadas and avocado slices.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.