This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Papas con Huevos (or in English, Potatoes and Eggs) is the breakfast of champions at my house.
It hits all the notes – easy, delicious, and I know my family will enjoy it. My guys can be picky eaters, but they love this recipe.
Drizzle some salsa or make into tacos. Grab a fork because it’s time to eat!
More Mexican Breakfast Recipes:
Huevos a la Mexicana
Huevos con Jamon
How to Make It
- Wash and dice the potatoes.
- About 1-inch in diameter.
Potato. Po-TAH-toe. Any kind of potato is fine. These are Yukon Gold Potatoes.
If using fingerling or red potatoes, you don’t need to peel the skin off. For Russet Potatoes, though, be sure to peel the skin before cooking.
Leftovers revamped! You can use the potatoes from a previous meal, and simply fold them in at the end so they can fully heat through.
Mexican Recipes Using Potatoes:
Potato Tacos Dorados
Tortitas de Papa con Atun
Baked Potato Flautas
- Heat oil and pan sear the potatoes for a few minutes.
- Add the water and cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
The potatoes will not be fork tender but half done. They will finish cooking in the next few steps.
Be careful not to burn the bottom of the pan.
How to Get the Potatoes Cooked ThroughAdding the water helps! Don’t add too much, or it will make the potatoes too mushy.
For a cast iron skillet, use par boiled potatoes. That is, cook them slightly in another pot then transfer to the cast iron skillet.
- In a bowl, whip the eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Healthier Option: Use only egg whites.
Ground New Mexico Chile
Ground Chile Ancho
You can also add diced jalapeno, diced tomatoes, and cheese.
- Add the onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs to the potatoes.
- Stir until the eggs are done.
- About 4-5 minutes.
Stir occasionally so the eggs will not stick to the pan.
With a fork, check if the potatoes are cooked through.
If potatoes are not ready:
Add a splash of water, turn off the heat, and cover the pot. They will finish cooking with the steam.
How Long Does It Last?
Papas con Huevos will last up to 5 days in the fridge. In the freezer, eggs last 3-6 months, depending on how it’s stored. Best to store in a sealable plastic bag with all the air removed.
What to serve with it
More Mexican Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
Cafe de la Olla
Nopales con Huevo
Chorizo con Huevos
Looking for a really tasty breakfast idea? This Papas con Huevos recipe is delicious and totally easy to make. Drizzle your favorite salsa and ENJOY!
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube for my latest recipes and videos.
Papas con Huevos
- Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add the potatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water.
- Place a lid over the skillet.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and add onion.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are fully cooked.
- Stir occasionally so the eggs won't burn or stick to skillet.
- Serve and enjoy!