Disclosure: This post is written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. All opinions are entirely my own. This shop has been compensated by Acorn Influence, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
We don’t do Sunday brunch at my house. Instead, it’s Saturday breakfast. On Saturdays, we usually wake up late – loooooong after the cows should have been milked. 🙂 My son will play his computer games. My husband and I will catch up on social media while drinking a pot of coffee. Then, I make a big breakfast followed by all three of us cleaning the house and a bike ride over to the karate dojo. One of my favorite Saturday morning breakfasts: Chilaquiles con Huevos Fritos, or Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs.
I’m using TortillaLand® Uncooked Corn Tortillas. I bought them at Costco in the refrigerated area. For this dish, I used one pack and froze the others for later. They also have uncooked flour tortillas for your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert dishes. Chilaquiles con Huevos Fritos, or Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs, tastes a million times better if you make the tortilla chips from scratch. Making tortilla chips at home is super easy too. It’s worth taking this extra step especially if you have the tortillas ready to go in the freezer. Slice them into triangles, kind of like mini pizza slices minus the pepperoni.
Then fry them in oil. Watch them carefully because they will poof up in seconds. Turn for a few more seconds in the oil. Then lay them down on a paper towel to drain. You won’t have another opportunity to salt the tortilla chips. Salt now while they are still hot.
Return the tortilla chips to the pan and add tomatillo salsa verde. Turn to coat everything in the salsa. This will only take a few minutes over a low to medium flame. Lastly, top with fried eggs, queso fresco, slices of onion, and sour cream.
My son calls them “Chili Killers.” He must’ve been playing a lot of video games that do not have the Mama Maggie’s seal of approval. Chilaquiles con Huevos Fritos, or Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs, is the ultimate breakfast food. This hearty and delicious dish is the perfect way to start your day. Hope you and your family enjoy the killers! 🙂
- 5 corn tortillas, sliced into triangles
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 8 eggs
- Queso fresco
- Slices of white onion
- Sour Cream
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the corn tortillas, working in small batches.
- Do not overcrowd the pan, or the tortilla will not fry properly.
- Fry for 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Return the fried tortillas to the pan along with the salsa verde.
- Under low to medium heat, toss gently to coat the tortillas in the salsa.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- In a separate pan, fry the eggs.
- To plate, add chilaquiles then top with eggs, queso fresco, onion, sour cream, and cilantro.
Have you entered the giveaway yet?
TortillaLand $25 Costco Cash Card Giveaway