I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but my guys do. They ask for dessert even after they’re stuffed. Where do they put it all?
Every so often, I like to treat them with something yummy like these Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cajeta Frosting. Top them off with a drizzle of more Mexican caramel sauce. Mmm!
This dessert is a thrill when there’s a chill in the air. They make a yummy addition to any occasion.
How do you make easy cupcakes?
I like to use a cake box mixture for many reasons.
- Saves a lot of time!
- Baking is hard enough.
- It’s fall, and there is plenty to do especially to get ready for Christmas.
Thankfully, there is no leaf raking in Southern California, but that doesn’t stop the fall celebrations and Halloween parties.
For guests who don’t like pie or a non-traditional but fall dessert, try these Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cajeta Frosting.
What makes a cupcake moist and fluffy?
Don’t over-mix the batter. This will burst the air bubbles that make moist and fluffy cupcakes.
The bubbles expand when baking in the oven, giving you the softy and yummy cupcakes we all love and enjoy.
When mixing the batter, set the mixer on low. As soon as the ingredients are blended together, turn the mixer off.
What is pumpkin puree?
Pumpkin puree is cooked and mashed pumpkin.
By the way, Mexican pepitas do not come from pumpkins. Learn what are pepitas.
Why do cupcakes sink?
If your cupcakes sink, it is because you overdid the beating. Once the ingredients are fully mixed together, stop immediately and divide the batter into the cupcake pan.
Another reason they sink, you opened the oven door early into the baking. This releases hot air before the batter has set which will make them sink.
Tips on Making the Best Frosting
- Work with room temperature butter.
- Cold butter will make your frosting lumpy.
On a frosty night, this frosting is out of sight.
Cajeta is a Mexican caramel sauce. It is found at most grocery stores these days. However, if you can’t find it, you can also use regular caramel or dulce de leche.
What is the difference, you ask?
- Cajeta is made with goat’s milk.
- Regular caramel is made with cow’s milk.
- Dulce de Leche is made sweetened condensed milk.
How Long Does Cajeta Frosting Last?
- Cajeta Frosting can last in a cool room for up to 8 hours.
- You can also make the frosting up to 3 days ahead of use.
- Or, make ahead of time and put it in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Once the cupcakes are frosted, put them in the refrigerator. Take them out an hour before serving. This will help the frosting come to room temperature.
How Long Do Cupcakes Last
- Cupcakes keep well for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Cover them with foil or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
People will line up to sample these Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cajeta Frosting. Mouthwatering, rich, and sumptuous with a Mexican twist.
A decadent dessert lovers dream come true.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cajeta Frosting
For the Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed but include the following:
- Add the pumpkin pie spice and substitute the can of pumpkin puree for the water called for in the cake box directions.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins. About ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- In the meantime, in a medium-size mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese, cajeta, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Whip on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until everything is well blended.
- Turn off the blender and add the powdered sugar and whipping cream, little by little.
- Turning it on to beat after each addition.
- Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Once all the sugar has been added, beat on medium-high for 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the frosting to the top of each of the cupcakes. Enjoy!
Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter.