In the US, pumpkin is everywhere.
This Pumpkin Chipotle Soup is the perfect blend of cultures. A Mexican American fusion soup that I know you’ll love.
Another Mexican American fusion recipe: Pumpkin Arroz con Leche.
How to Make Pumpkin Chipotle Soup
These are the ingredients you will need:
- Pumpkin Puree – please note that there is only 1 can in the picture, but you will need TWO cans to make this recipe.
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce – If you like it extra spicy, add an extra chipotle.
- Homemade chicken broth – you can also use 4 cups of water + 1 chicken bouillon OR vegetable broth to make this soup vegetarian
- Milk or heavy cream
Is Pumpkin Soup Healthy?
Pumpkin is a heart healthy food. It has fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and is said to help improve eyesight.
With a soup this good, I can’t see that happening. Wink. Wink.
- Saute the onions either in oil or butter.
- Add the flour, chipotle, and garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the milk slowly, a little at a time, stirring the entire time.
If you don’t stir while you’re adding the milk, it will form lumps.
If you have an immersion blender, that’s ideal. Simply blend, and done.
If you don’t have one, place the ingredients from the pot and 1 cup of chicken stock into a blender, and blend until smooth.
How Do You Thicken Pumpkin Soup
- With Flour, as in this recipe.
- Cornstarch (mix 1 tbpn of cornstarch with stock, add to the soup, bring to a boil)
- Add bean puree – this is a great way to add protein and is vegan friendly.
- Adding cream will not just thicken your soup but make it rich.
- Take 1 cup of the soup and blend it with stale bread. Add it to the soup and bring to a boil. You can also do this with cooked potatoes.
- A great dairy-free and vegan friendly option is Coconut Milk. It will also add a slight coconut flavor.
Pumpkin puree comes in cans like this one. You find them all year long at the grocery store, usually in the baking section. Or, you can buy pumpkin online (AFFILIATE)
During the fall season, though, you can find them on sale. That’s when you can stock up and save.
Remember that in the picture, I only included 1 can, but you need 2 cans for the recipe. If you only use 1 can, the Pumpkin Chipotle Soup will be very spicy.
- Return the ingredients from the blender to the pot
- Add the pumpkin puree, salt, cumin, and remaining chicken stock.
- Stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes.
What can I add to pumpkin soup
- Green beans, zucchini, carrots.
- beans- pinto, white beans, kidney beans
Any of these or all of them would make great additions to your Pumpkin Chipotle Soup.
How Long Does Pumpkin Chipotle Soup Last?
- In the fridge, pumpkin chipotle soup lasts up to 4 days.
- In the freezer, pumpkin chipotle soup lasts for up to 3 months.
Soup Toppings Ideas:
Sour Cream (or crema mexicana)
Fall in love with this Pumpkin Chipotle Soup this season. A tasty dish that’s perfect as a starter for Thanksgiving dinner or just because. Hope you enjoy!
Pumpkin Chipotle Soup
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil.
- Add the onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour, chipotle, garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute. Stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking the entire time.
- Transfer the ingredients from the pot to a blender. Add 1 cup chicken broth and blend until smooth.
- NOTE: if you have an immersion blender, you can skip this part and blend in the pot.
- Return the contents of the blender to the stock pot.
- Add remaining chicken broth, pumpkin, cumin, and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
In the freezer, pumpkin chipotle soup lasts for up to 3 months. If you have an immersion blender, skip the blender and blend everything in the pot. Instead of flour, you can mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch in chicken broth, add to the pot, bring to a boil. This will thicken up your soup.