This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
California Burrito – I was born and raised on authentic Mexican food. Anything Mexican-inspired was sacrilegious until I moved to San Diego.
Here, in America’s Finest City is where I first tasted Carne Asada Fries, learned about the two kinds of seals – the marine kind in La Jolla and the guys who defend the US in Coronado.
This is also where I had my first DELICIOUS California Burrito. It was love at first bite!
If you have never had one, you’re in for a real foodie fiesta straight from the heart of San Diego.
How to Make It
These are the ingredients for the meat marinate.
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
What makes San Diego so unique is that we are a border city. Our food is highly influenced by Mexico and the fact that we have great produce all year long.
We also have the Pacific Ocean, military bases, and close to perfect weather all year long.
Our food in San Diego is AMAZING, just like this California Burrito.
Outside Skirt Steak by Rumba Meats. You can find it online you can order online. (AFFILIATE)
It arrives straight to your door. It’s packed with dried ice. So it arrives super cold.
Rumba Meats comes vacuum sealed. That means it stays fresher longer.
The convenience alone of having meat delivered to your home is totally worth it.
Or, look for this cut of steak at the grocery store in the meat department.
Using a plastic bag is a lot easier to clean, but you can also marinate the meat in a glass container and put plastic wrap over it too.
- Add all the marinating ingredients into the plastic bag.
- Add the outside skirt meat to the bag.
- Mix well.
- Place the meat in the refrigerator for minimum 4 hours.
Marinating the meat overnight is best. The flavors will not develop as fully if you marinate the meat less than 4 hours.
Great Idea! Marinate the meat the night before, then take out and cook. Makes cooking easier and faster.
Heat up the oven. It’s fry time. French fries, that is.
- Heat the oven.
- Bake the fries according to frozen package instructions.
Oven baked fries work great for California Burritos. However, you can fry them as well.
Yes, you can use sweet potato fries instead. They will add some sweetness.
Cook on each side for 6-8 minutes for medium-rare meat. Look for the grill marks before turning.
(130 to 135 degrees on an instant-read thermometer)
How to Cook Skirt Steak in the Oven:
- Place the steak on a baking sheet.
- Broil for about 5-6 minutes. You will see the meat change to a golden brown.
- Flip and place under the broiler for another 5 minutes for medium-rare.
- Let rest before slicing.
- Once it is done cooking, let the meat REST. 10 minutes.
- Tent it with aluminum foil while you’re doing this.
If you cut into the meat while it’s fresh off the grill, the juices will run out, leaving you with a dry chunk of a meat.
Slice it as thinly as possible.
- Refried Beans
- Red Salsa or Green Salsa
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
You can use as many or as little of these as you like.
Other ingredients you can add:
Yellow nacho cheese
Pico de Gallo
Time to assemble our California Burrito:
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans
- Add a healthy portion of the sliced meat
- Add a healthy portion of the french fries
- Mexican red salsa or Salsa verde, whatever you prefer
- Sour Cream
- Shredded cheese
You’re going to need a very large tortilla. Look for the burrito-size tortilla at the store.
If you can’t find them, use a regular-sized tortilla, but add less of the fillings.
Let the carne asada and the filling cool. (If they are warm when you assemble, the tortilla will get soggy).
Roll up the burrito as per the instructions.
Wrap it up in foil paper as tightly as possible.
Add to a large freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible.
The burrito will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Cook from Frozen
Bake: Remove the California Burritos from the foil and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for 35-40 minutes in 400 degrees.
Test the inside. If it needs more cooking, place back inside the oven for another 5 minutes.
Microwave: Remove the California Burritos from the foil paper.
Microwave for 4 minutes, or until warm. For a crispy tortilla texture, place under the broiler or pan sear for a few minutes.
What to Serve with It
Ensalada de Nopales
Arroz Blanco Mexicano
Sink your teeth into this AMAZING California Burrito! It’s mouthwatering and heavenly in every bite.
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
- For the Marinade:
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- Juice of 4 limes or 6 key limes
- ½ cup oil
- 1 Outside Skirt Steak
- 4 burrito-sized tortillas
- For the Filling:
- 1 cup Refried Beans
- 1 package of frozen French fries
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup guacamole
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- In a sealable plastic bag, add all the ingredients for the marinade and the skirt steak.
- Seal the plastic bag.
- Mix well to coat the meat.
- Marinate for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Overnight is best.
- Grill meat to desired doneness.
- 6-8 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the meat as thinly as possible.
- Bake french fries as per package instructions.
- Warm up the tortillas.
- To the center of the tortilla:
- Add a layer of refried beans.
- Top with a healthy portion of the sliced grilled meat, french fries, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and cheese.
- Roll up the burrito.
- Slice in half.
- Serve with extra salsa or guacamole.