This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Molletes (pronounced moh-yeh-tehs) are what you make when you want food on the table FAST.
They always remind me of my mom. She used to make them for us when we came home from school.
Refried beans and salsa were always in the fridge. So, this was a super quick and super tasty snack to put together.
Let me show you how to make this simple yet delicious Mexican recipe…
These are the ingredients you’ll need.
Bolillo is a type of Mexican bread that’s crunchy on the outside and soft and pillowy on the inside.
Can’t find bolillo at your grocery store? No problemo.
Use french bread or any type of sandwich roll instead.
- Start by cutting the bolillo in half.
- Smear a thin layer of refried beans.
Refried beans can be made with pinto or black beans. Whichever you prefer is fine.
Homemade refried beans are the best, but you can also use canned beans too.
More Mexican Sandwiches
Torta de Milanesa
Torta de Jamon
- Add shredded cheese.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese has melted.
Put a good amount of cheese on the bread. Who doesn’t love melted cheese?!
Types of cheese to use:
Basically, use any type of cheese that melts well.
- Dice up the tomato, jalapeno, and onion.
- Place in a large bowl.
While the cheese is melting, make the Pico de Gallo. In short, it’s a fresh tomato salsa.
Try to make this ahead of time, if you can. The longer it sits, the better it tastes.
Although, freshly made salsa is good too.
- Add the lime juice.
- Add the salt and cilantro.
- Mix to combine.
Such an easy salsa recipe! Set this aside.
You don’t want to top the bread with the pico de gallo until you’re ready to eat the sandwich.
OR, it will make the bread soggy.
Can you see why these open-faced sandwiches are often called Mexican bruschetta?
This is the most traditional Molletes recipe, but feel free to change it up!
You can add chorizo, minced chipotle, scrambled eggs for breakfast, even chopped up carne asada. Yum!
Mexican Snack Recipes:
Mexican Fruit Cups
Mexican Charcuterie Board
After School Mexican Cookie Snacks
Molletes are ideal as a tasty after school snack, lunch, or breakfast.
They’re 100% yummy, quick-to-make, and always a hit with the kiddos and grown ups alike.
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
- 2 bolillo or bread
- 1 cup refried beans
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 2 lime juice
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- Slice the bolillos in half.
- Smear 2 tablespoons of refried beans on one half of the bolillo.
- Repeat with the other bolillo halves.
- Add Monterey Jack cheese on top of the refried beans.
- Set oven to Broiler.
- Place the prepared boillos on a sheet pan.
- Place the bolillos under the broiler for 7 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, make the pico de gallo.
- Mix the tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- Set the pico de gallo aside until the bread is ready.
- Top the molletes with the salsa.
- Serve immediately.
This post was recently updated. You might remember the previous picture.
Looked good so I made some refried pinto beans and roasted a pork butt for the meat . really tasty, thank you.
That’s awesome and sounds like a yummy addition.
Tank you for the bottom of my heart, you just make me remember when my mom used to make them when my siblings and me were kids.😀😔
You’re welcome. I love food memories!
Amy Liu Dong
It looks so good and tasty.
I am so excited to make this for my family, and I am sure they will love this!
Very delicious. Your family will enjoy this recipe. Thank you!