This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Torta de Milanesa… YES PLEASE!
One of my favorite things about Mexicans is how resourceful they are. No job? No problemo. They’ll go sweep their neighbor’s floors. Wash dishes. Help guide cars out of parking lots.
Mexican street food is just that. People who know how to make something yummy.. maybe they make the best tortas in town.
You might even see people selling these DELICIOUS sandwiches that are incredibly AMAZING!
More Mexican Sandwiches You’ll Love:
Torta de Jamon
How to Make It
- Butterfly cut a chicken breast.
- Place the chicken between two pieces of wax paper. You can also use plastic wrap.
- Pound the chicken until it’s thin.
- Set aside until ready to use.
This is your basic Milanesa de Pollo recipe. You start by making a chicken cutlet.
Sometimes, you’ll find chicken cutlets at the store already cut up for you.
You can also make this recipe using pork cutlets, or one of my favorites is with beef like Milanesa de Res.
More Mexican Chicken Recipes:
Pollo a la Diabla
Entomatadas de Pollo
Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- Dredge into the flour.
- Dip into the egg.
Pro Tip:Use one hand when dipping and dredging. That way, you only have one messy hand and one clean hand.
Don’t skimp on the flour, breadcrumbs, and eggs. If you run out, it’s really hard to get more with just one hand… I’m speaking from personal experience. lol.
Make sure you add salt and some kind of spices to the flour.
Spices To Add To The Flour:
- Ground Cumin
- Ground Oregano
- Ground Cayenne (not too much, maybe just a pinch)
- Dried, ground chile de arbol.
- Dried, ground chile ancho.
All of these spices will add a lot of flavor to your Torta de Milanesa.
At the very least, add salt and pepper to the flour, or it will be bland. You want the fried chicken cutlet to be delicious and flavorful.
- Fry the chicken on both sides
- About 3-4 minutes, depending on how thin you pounded it out.
What Oil to use for Frying:
- Regular vegetable oil is best when frying the chicken cutlets.
- You can also use olive oil, peanut oil, or avocado oil.
- Coconut oil is not recommended because the chicken will pick up a coconut taste.
Other Cooking Methods:
- You can also do this step in the fryer. It will only take 4 minutes in the fryer to cook thoroughly.
- Another suggestion is to bake the breaded chicken in a 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- Make sure you place the fried Milanesa de Pollo on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- If the Milanesa de Pollo is greasy or too hot from the frying, your bread can get soggy.
Give this a minute to cool down and drain the cooking oil before placing on the bread.
- Avocado slices
- Pickled Jalapeños
Word to the Wise: Don’t make the Torta de Milanesa too big. Use your best judgement when assembling so you can fit everything inside the bread.
Tortas are made with either teleras or bolillos. Assemble your Torta de Milanesa.
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Torta de Milanesa
Spices for Bread Crumbs
For the Chicken
- Cut chicken breast in half.
- Pound chicken with a meat tenderizer to create an even thickness.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Create a breading station by adding flour in one dish, eggs in another dish, and bread crumbs in the third dish.
- Add salt and pepper to the eggs.Beat the eggs.
- Add the desired spices to the bread crumbs.Mix with a fork to combine.
- Dredge the chicken with the flour.Shake off any excess flour.
- Place the floured chicken in the egg mixture.Make sure to coat the entire chicken with the egg mixture.
- Lastly, place the chicken in the bread crumbs.Again, make sure the chicken is completely coated with the bread crumbs.
- Set aside and repeat until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Pan-fry the chicken in batch, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer each cooked chicken to a plate with a paper towel.
- Continue frying until all the chicken pieces are cooked.
To Assemble the Sandwich
- Cut bolillo (or telera) in half.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise to both sides.
- Add a piece of fried chicken on one of the bread halves.
- Top with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickled jalapeños, avocado slices.
- Top with the other half of bread.