This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
ALERT: Chicken Fajitas is not an authentic Mexican dish. I repeat, chicken fajitas are NOT Mexican. They originated in Texas, and we, the good people in Mexico, adopted this delicious dish. This tough conversation is in my head: “Yes, fajitas. We’re sorry but you’re not our natural national dish. You were adopted.” The way that I see it, you must give credit where credit is due – even when it goes to former parts of Mexico. 😉
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Fajitas originally came from the “faja” or the “skirt” of the beef. (These aren’t mini-skirts or knee length skirts. We’re talking about dressing up this dish this time with “skirts” of steers.) However, I’m making this dish with chicken. You can normally find chicken strips at the grocery store. If not, slice up a boneless chicken breast to make your own strips – it’s DIY for the kitchen gal or guy. From there, the meat is marinated for at least an hour to develop the flavors. Or, go the easy way and use THIS .
Don’t you just love all the colors? The green, red, and yellow peppers make it such a festive dish! Slice them along with an onion. You can still make Chicken Fajitas even if you don’t have one of the bell peppers. Just omit and add more of the bell pepper that you do have.
In a large skillet, cook the chicken. A few minutes into the cooking process, add the peppers and the onion. The mixture might appear to overflow in your pan, but never fear. Once they cook down, they will be easier to work with – compliant and pliable (like a good husband) 🙂
These Chicken Fajitas are full of yummy flavors. An easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Serve with corn or flour tortillasand your favorite salsa, and you have a winning meal that your entire family is sure to enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken strips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ tablespoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- In a large dish, add chicken strips, 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and place in the fridge.
- Marinate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add chicken.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the peppers and the onion.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite salsa.