This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ejote a la Mexicana are Mexican style green beans. You’re going to love this delicious recipe!
Here, I’m sharing it as a side dish, but it can very well be served as tacos or as a fill for chile rellenos.
Let me show you how to make it.
- Green Beans – These are fresh, but swap out for two cans of green beans. Drained and rinsed.
- Olive Oil – Avocado oil, vegetable oil, even butter, all work in this recipe.
- Jalapenos, White Onion, and Tomatoes are the three essential ingredients to make a recipe “a la Mexicana.” The colors of the Mexican flag – green, white, and red.
- Garlic – Feel free to use 1 tsp of garlic powder instead.
- Ground Cumin and Ground Oregano add flavor to this easy dish.
- Salt and pepper
- Water – Please refer to the recipe card for exact measurement.
- Chopped cilantro gives this dish freshness.
We’re trying to keep it meatless, but try this recipe with bacon or chorizo. Yum!
- Trim the edges off the fresh green beans and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Add water and teaspoon salt.
- Bring the water to a simmer. Cook for 3-5 minutes until crisp tender.
If you are using canned green beans, drain and rinse. Set aside until ready to use.
Other Ways of Cooking Green Beans:
Blanching: Boil water and add green beans. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove and immerse in ice cold water.
Steaming: Add green beans to a pan with a small amount of water. Cover. Steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and cook tomatoes.
- Add onion, jalapenos, garlic clove, and spices.
- Cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Drain green beans and add to the pan.
Mix everything and add fresh cilantro.
A great addition to this would cotija cheese, fresh corn, or for added crunch, try diced bell peppers.
The tomato sauce when cooked down and look like a thick sauce. That’s when you know to add the green beans.
This is NOT supposed to be saucy like many Mexican food recipes. If you want to make a sauce, add 1 cup water and adjust the salt.
More Mexican Side Dishes:
Next time you need a quick side dish or want to try something new for Thanksgiving dinner, remember this easy recipe!
It also tastes great cold as a Mexican green bean salad.
Ejotes a la Mexicana is a fantastic dish made with healthy ingredients and SO tasty.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Ejotes a la Mexicana
- Trim the ends off the green beans and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Rinse and add to a stock pot with water and salt.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated a thick tomato paste has formed.
- Add the green beans.
- Mix to combine.
- Add the cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!