This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Skinny Margarita recipe is guaranteed to be a win.
The hubby and I enjoy an occasional cocktail while we’re watching football. This one is a favorite!
It’s full of delicious tequila and fresh lime juice. Light and refreshing.
The best part is that it’s incredibly easy to make. Make one for an after-work drink or a big pitcher for a party.
- Agave syrup
- Lime juice
- Lime wedge to rim the glass (optional)
- Salt to rim the glass (optional)
The trick to this drink is using freshly squeezed lime juice.
These are key limes, but you can also use regular lime juice.
If your lime does not produce a lot of juice, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. This will help get the juices going.
- Cut a lime in half.
- Rub the lime around the edge of the glass.
This step is completely OPTIONAL but makes for a fun presentation.
The lime juice will act like glue and help the salt stick to the glass.
What makes a skinny margarita?
Fresh lime juice, tequila, and agave nectar. Some people will add orange juice instead of triple sec.
This “skinny” version is fewer in calories than a traditional margarita and other tequila cocktails.
- Add salt to a plate.
- Turn the glass upside down and press down to adhere the salt.
If you are not up for salt, try Tajin or ground chile powder. This will add a slight kick to your drink.
Another option is to add sugar, but since these are “skinny” cocktails, it might be best to avoid sugar.
How do you order a skinny margarita at a bar?
Most places nowadays know what a skinny margarita is. Just in case, order a tequila with club soda and ask for a few lime wedges. Then squeeze the limes into the glass.
- Mix the lime juice, agave syrup, and tequila.
- Serve over ice.
On the rocks or frozen?
This is based on personal preference. If you prefer frozen margaritas, simply place all the ingredients in a blender and blend away. Serve right away.
Remember, if the margarita sits on the rocks too long, it will dilute the drink.
This Skinny Margarita recipe packs a punch. So watch out! Make this yummy cocktail ahead of time in a pitcher for guests or just because.
More Cocktail Recipes:
Hungry for More?
For 1 Skinny Margarita:
To Rim the Glass:
- Pour the salt onto a small plate.
- Rub the lime wedge around the rim of the glass.
- Dip the glass into the plate of salt. It will stick to the glass.
- Set it aside.
For One Skinny Margarita:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, and agave syrup.
- Close the shaker and top with the lid.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Add ice to the rimmed glass with salt.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Serve and drink immediately.
For a Pitcher:
- Prepare the glasses with the salt rims.
- To a large pitcher, add the tequila, lime juice, and agave syrup.
- Stir with a spoon to combine.
- Cover the pitcher with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Add ice to the glasses.
- Serve and enjoy.