This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Roasted Tomato Salsa recipe is NOT SPICY. I keep getting asked for a salsa recipe that won’t send you running to find water.
That’s what this recipe is. Super yummy and only a hint of spice.
The roasting adds soooo much flavor to the salsa. I know you’re going to LOVE it!
FYI: There are plenty of spicy salsa recipes on this website such as Chile de Arbol Salsa, Chile Piquin Salsa, Tomatillo Habanero Salsa
- Start by adding the tomatoes on the skillet.
- The tomatoes are the first thing you put on the skillet, and the last thing you take off.
Open up the windows, and heat up the griddle! It can get SMOKEY when you’re working with chiles so save the batteries in your smoke detector – the voice of experience.
If you’re doing this old school (aka “on the griddle”), you will need to watch your food and turn and turn again.
Burn, baby. Burn! 🙂
More Mexican Salsa Recipes:
Salsa de Aguacate
Avocado Mango Salsa
- Once they start turning black, turn the tomatoes.
- Char on all sides.
This will take a few minutes. You want the tomatoes to be soft to the touch.
How to Adjust the Spicy Level:
For a spicier salsa, add fewer tomatoes and another jalapeno.
The more tomatoes you add, the less spicy it will be.
- Once you have turned the tomatoes once, add the jalapenos.
- Skin-side down to get a good char.
If you do this on the griddle, you’re going to hear it POPPING. The flesh of the chile pepper does that.
The heat of the pepper lives in the seeds and veins area. Remove this to reduce the heat.
- After 5 minutes, add the onion and garlic.
- They will roast very quickly.
You can also roast in the oven, under the broiler.
How to Roast in the Broiler
- Place all the ingredients on a sheet pan.
- Coat with olive oil.
- Cook under the broiler for 15 minutes. Turn halfway.
The problem with roasting in the broiler is that you sometimes don’t get a good char. The black charred skin adds TONS of flavor to the salsa.
- Place all the ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse to desired consistency.
OR, place all the ingredients in a blender for a smoother consistency.
OR, use a molcajete (or mortar and pestle) as in Tomato Molcajete Salsa. This will produce a chunkier salsa like the one below.
This Roasted Tomato Salsa recipe is absolutely, 100% DELICIOUS!
It’s great on it’s own with chips. Or, try this on top of fish or crab cakes. Provecho!
Hungry for More?
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube for my latest recipes and videos.
Roasted Tomato Salsa
- Add tomatoes to a hot griddle.
- Turn the tomatoes after 5 minutes, add the jalapeno, onion, and garlic to the griddle.
- After 5 minutes, turn the tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, and garlic.
- Roast for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the jalapeno, garlic, and onion.
- Make sure the tomatoes are roasted on all sides. Then remove.
- In a blender, add the tomatoes, jalapeño, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Brush tomatoes, jalapeño, and onion with olive oil.
- Place under the broiler. 7 minutes. Turn and return under the broiler for an additional 5 minutes.
This blog post was recently updated. You might remember the old pictures.
I could seriously DRINK this salsa. It was so easy to make, yet so flavorful. This is going to be my go-to for chips and salsa.
So glad you liked this recipe. It’s delicious!
got this on the table for game day right now! or family is gobbling it up as i type this! they’ve already requested it again for next weekend!
So delicious. Glad you and your family enjoyed it!
Marisa F. Stewart
What an easy way to make one of my favorite appetizers. So easy I had to try it out and I couldn’t believe how delicious it turned out. Roasting does make the difference. I’m so glad I followed all of your tips. This recipe is a keeper.
It does make the difference. So glad you liked it!
This is such a delicious salsa that was so easy to make! I roasted the tomatoes under the broiler like you suggested and the flavors were outstanding! This will be my go to dip recipe from now on whenever I want a quick snack. Thank you!
It’s so easy and delicious! Glad you enjoyed this.