You know when you want a big meal, but you just don’t wanna cook? I know that feeling more than I’d like to admit. Maybe it’s the crazy “run here, run there” life that I lead, but, in my humble opinion, making food should not take hours. Unless it’s tamales. That’s a whole other story. That’s when I enlist an army of family members to help me. This Mexican Breakfast Migas fits the fast foodie bill. Easy-to-make, delicious, and on the table in no time flat.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
When I was kid, my mom made us these Mexican Breakfast Migas all the time. My mom is quite the cook. I blame her for ruining me for all other Mexican food. Nothing beats my mom’s cooking! She is also the typical Mexican mom who does everything herself – tortillas from scratch, floors were spotless, salsa never came out of a jar, she even ironed our underwear – creased to perfection. No, I’m not kidding!
If you’ve never had these Mexican Breakfast Migas, basically, they are made up of scrambled eggs and fried tortillas in a large skillet. You start by cutting the tortillas. I normally cut the tortillas for this recipe into little squares. From here, you fry them for a few minutes. Remove from pan and salt the fried tortilla squares.
Meanwhile, get all the other ingredients ready. Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan and add the tomato, onion, garlic. Cook for 2-3 minute, or until the onion is translucent.
Then add the whisked eggs. Immediately add the fried tortillas back to the pan. Turn the heat down low. Fold gently the tortillas as the eggs are cooking. Top with cilantro and green onions. You can also top this dish with queso fresco, avocado, or Mexican crema and serve with refried beans. See why these Mexican Breakfast Migas are great for a quick and delicious Sunday brunch? Hope you and all your amigas enjoy these migas!
- ¼ cup olive oil + 2 tablespoons (divided)
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into squares
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ ground oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro (optional)
- Green Onions (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat ¼ cup olive oil.
- Add corn tortillas and fry until golden. 4 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Salt the tortillas.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan.
- Add tomato, onion, and garlic.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add eggs, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Whisk well.
- Add eggs to the pan.
- Immediately add fried tortillas.
- Gently fold the tortillas with the eggs.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked.
- Top with cilantro and green onions.