I’ve seen some crazy, off-the-wall “you’ve-got-to-be-kidding” adaptations of Huevos Rancheros. I can be a stickler for the real deal and some Mexican food classics.
That is why I’m sharing with you an authentic Mexican Breakfast recipe for this traditional favorite. If you jumped on a plane and landed in Mexico tomorrow, this is what you would expect.
What are the Huevos Rancheros Ingredients?
- Fried Tortillas
- Mexican Red Salsa
- Refried Beans
Huevos Rancheros Translation
Huevos Rancheros literally translated into English means “Rancher’s Eggs.”
My dad’s family has a ranch in Durango, Mexico. The men who work on the ranch wake up really early… like roosters crowing early … to milk the cows, feed the animals, etc.
They eat something very light, like a piece of bread and coffee. Then they come back mid-morning and have a BIG BREAKFAST. Most of the time, they have Huevos Rancheros, or Rancher’s Eggs.
This is the way my grandma made them on the ranch in Durango, Mexico.
How to Make Authentic Huevos Rancheros
- Lightly fry the tortilla.
- One to two minutes on each side.
- Place the lightly fried tortillas on a paper towel.
- Drain excess oil.
Do not confuse these with tostadas. The tortillas are only lightly fried tortillas. You don’t use all the oil.
I asked my grandma about this once, and she said, resources can be tight on the ranch. You want some oil to fry up the eggs.
• Note: I’ve seen recipes for Huevos Rancheros Casserole where they do not fry the tortillas. Tortillas are simply layered in a large casserole dish with refried beans, salsa, and cheese and lastly topped with eggs.
Huevos Rancheros Casserole is not authentic Mexican, but I gotta admit, I love an easy brunch recipe.
Make Huevos Rancheros easy for yourself and save an extra step in the morning: Have your Mexican Red Salsa ready to go and made the day before.
Since I’m giving you an authentic Mexican Breakfast recipe for Huevos Rancheros, please almost everything on my dad’s ranch is made from scratch.
However, I like the idea of an easy Mexican breakfast, or easy Mexican brunch, though. Less time cooking, more time eating.
I love creamy refried beans. In this dish, they act like glue to hold everything together. Make sure to add them on the tortilla first.
How to Assemble Huevos Rancheros
- Add a thin layer of refried beans to a lightly fried tortilla.
- Then add some red salsa.
- Top with a cooked egg.
Here’s a yummy idea: There are many Mexican breakfast dishes that include chorizo like Chorizo con Huevos and Chorizo and Egg Tostadas. Naturally, you’ll see some people add cooked chorizo to this recipe.
• Simply add cooked chorizo to the beans when they are warming up, adding another layer of flavor and depth.
Huevos Rancheros with chorizo .. tell me that doesn’t sound delicious?!
For An Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Make the salsa and the beans ahead of time.
- That way you just have to fry the tortillas and make the eggs.
My dad used to make us his huevos rancheros tacos. Totally different from the original version but just as delicious.
You must try out my authentic Huevos Rancheros recipe for your next brunch get together. Or spoil your family with a hearty breakfast. You’ll hear them say “Muy Bueno” after the first bite.
- In a stock pot, add the tomatoes, serrano chile, onion, and garlic.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Discard water and add ingredients to the blender along with salt.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Fry each tortilla for 1 minute on each side.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- In a separate pot, warm up the refried beans.
- Cook eggs sunny side up in the oil.
- How to Assemble Huevos Rancheros
- Add a thin layer of refried beans to a fried tortilla.
- Add cooled salsa on top of the refried beans.
- Top with a cooked egg.
- Continue assembling until you run out of tortillas.Enjoy.
Other Authentic Mexican Breakfast Recipes:
These Mexican Breakfast Migas are great for a quick and delicious Sunday brunch. Use up leftover tortillas, mixed with eggs, and topped with a savory, spicy salsa. A Mexican breakfast idea that’s sure to hit it out of the park!
Nopales con Huevo (Cactus with Eggs) is an easy and healthy breakfast. Add tortillas and enjoy this Mexican Breakfast favorite.
Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs, or Chilaquiles con Huevos Fritos, is a delicious and flavorful breakfast dish that’s a favorite in Mexico. This dish makes a yummy Mexican breakfast, but you can also enjoy it for lunch and dinner.