What is in a Sope?
Mexican Sopes are corn masa cakes that are usually topped with beef, pork, or chicken.
Some people will add refried beans before adding the meat. They are then topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheese, and salsa.
Making Mexican Sopes is a lot easier than you think. If you know how to make corn tortillas, you can make this recipe.
How to Make Mexican Sopes
- Mix masa harina and water.
- Enough to make a soft dough.
Once the dough comes together, knead it slightly. It should look like wet sand. Let the dough rest for a few minutes, then proceed to the next steps.
- Start with a ball. Bigger than a golf ball.
- Put the ball in the center of the plastic wrap inside a tortilla press.
- Press down gently
- The masa should still be thick not thin like a tortilla.
- Remove from the plastic wrap.
- Fry the masa.
If you press down too hard on the tortilla press, you will end up with tortillas. No worries. Form the ball again with the same masa, and try it again.
No tortilla press? You can also do this by hand like a gordita.
Frying is optional too. For “healthier sopes,” you can bake them in a 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
FYI: Forming the sope with a paper towel will help soak up some of the excess oil from the frying.
- Pinch the edges of the sopes while they are warm.
- Don’t do this while they are hot, or you will burn yourself.
You’re making fried corn masa cakes in the shape of a bowl or a crater.
Are Sopes gluten free?
Yes! Masa Harina is made from corn. Therefore, sopes are gluten free. However, depending on what toppings you use, it might not be gluten free.
Once they are ready, set them up on a towel. This will make serving a lot easier.
Entertaining Idea: Make the sopes ahead of time, and serve them with the toppings buffet style.
They also freeze well. Pull them out when you’re about to have a party or special dinner.
What is the difference between a gordita and a Sope?
- Gorditas are sliced in half to make a pocket then stuffed.
- A sope is pinched around the rim to create a crater then topped with your favorite ingredients.
Here’s a thought: Make smaller Picaditas for appetizers like pizza bites.
How Long Do Sopes Last
- In the fridge, Mexican Sopes will last up to 7 days.
- In the freezer, sopes will last up to 6 months.
How do you heat premade Sopes?
Oven Method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes.
Stovetop: Heat oil and fry the sopes for a few minutes. Drain the excess oil.
Once you have added your meat, top it off with lettuce (or shredded cabbage), tomatoes, cheese, and your favorite salsa.
Sopes (or Picaditas)
- In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, salt (if using), and water.
- Mix well until the water is absorbed and a soft ball of dough forms.
- Only add the water that is necessary to form the dough.
- Cover the masa and let it rest for 15 minutes. (Optional but preferred)
- Knead the dough slightly. About 2 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet.
- Form a small ball from the dough, the size of a large golf ball.
- Open the tortilla press and place a large piece of plastic wrap. Or, use a cut up large gallon-size Ziploc plastic bag.
- Place the ball into the center of the tortilla press and in between the two pieces of plastic wrap.
- Cover the ball with the other half of the plastic wrap.
- Close the tortilla press and press down gently.
- Don’t press all the way down completely. You basically are making a thick tortilla.
- If you don’t have a tortilla press, you can do this by hand. Just like a gordita.
- Fry for 1 minute. Flip and fry for 1 more minute.
- Remove from the oil and drain any excess oil on a paper towel.
- While the sope is warm (not hot, or you’ll burn yourself), with two fingers, pinch around the edge to form a crater.
- Repeat until there is no masa left.
- Add toppings and enjoy!