Michele, my sister-in-law, is one of the sweetest people in the world. Completely selfless and way too giving. She would give you the shirt off her back. I think she gave my son just as many gifts for Christmas as we did. She could make friends with anyone. I couldn’t have asked for a better sister-in-law. I’ve heard some horror stories about other people’s in-laws. Definitely thank my lucky stars for my husband’s amazing family. On one of Christopher’s trips back to the Empire State, Michele sent him home with some banana bread.
Bananas only last 2-5 days in the pantry before they are ripe. Then you have to stick them in the fridge and use between 5-7 days. OR, you can freeze them, but they only last 2-3 months in the freezer. Defrosting takes no time at all. For me, it’s easier to stick them straight into the freezer and use them up later. It’s right about this time of the year that my freezer is well-stocked with frozen bananas. Smoothies are great, but they get old after a while, don’t they? Michele inspired me to pull out my Banana Chocolate Chip Bread recipe.
It had been years since I made my Banana Chocolate Chip Bread recipe. You can also add walnuts and more chocolate chips, if you like. Or separate the batter into two mini loaf breads and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. I highly recommend baking two loaves and freezing one. (See below for freezing instructions). When you have overnight guests, take it out of the freezer and wow them at breakfast with homemade Banana Chocolate Chip Bread and a large pot of coffee. Hope you enjoy, and CHEERS to good families.
- 4 bananas, ripe
- 2 eggs
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour 9x5x2 ½-inch metal loaf pan.
- Beat the butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk baking soda, baking powder, flour, sugar, cinnamon.
- Coat the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of flour and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips. Mix to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool.
To freeze this bread: Wrap individually in plastic Saran wrap, then wrap in foil paper. Put inside a plastic freezer bag. Defrost on the counter or in the fridge overnight. You can bake it for 15-20 minutes to warm it up. The loaf will last for 3-4 months in the freezer.