This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with S&W Beans.
Sopa de Frijol is one of those dishes you’ll make over and over again.
It comes together in minutes and delivers big, bold flavors with minimal effort.
Completely vegan and perfect as a quick lunch. Simple and delicious!
- S&W Pinquito Beans – You will need two cans. Ready-to-use and more affordable than animal-based proteins. Talk about a win-win!
- Water – Swap out for vegetable broth to add more flavor.
- Soy chorizo – Here, we are making a vegan recipe, but if you prefer regular chorizo, feel free to use it instead.
- Olive oil is needed to cook the chorizo, onion, and garlic.
- White onions, garlic, and salt will add flavor to the soup.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce for a smokiness and to add spice.
- To a blender, add the pinquito beans with the liquid and everything.
- Add water, salt, and chipotle pepper.
Blend until smooth and set aside. This is what gives the soup a yummy creamy texture.
Chipotle in adobo sauce is a very typical ingredient in Mexican cuisine and adds a lot of flavor. For a less spicy version, use half or omit completely.
FYI: You might also hear this recipe referred to as “Caldo de Frijol.”
- Heat oil and cook the chorizo for 2-3 minutes.
- To the pot, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the bean mixture from the blender.
- Drain the other can of beans and add it to the pot.
We are making a meatless and nutritious recipe here.
Beans have zero saturated fat or trans-fat and are cholesterol-free.
S&W Pinquito Beans are petite, pinkish-brown, lightly speckled beans with a smooth, semi-sweet, delicate taste. They also provide 6-7g of protein per serving which is roughly the same as an egg or 1 oz of meat.
How to Adjust:
For a creamier texture, blend both cans of the beans to the blender.
Or, for a chunkier texture, add another can of drained S&W Pinquito Beans.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. To store in the freezer, place the leftovers in a sealable bag, removing as much air as possible. Use within 5 months.
More Mexican Vegetarian Soups:
Sopa de Frijol is a creamy Mexican Bean Soup that’s full of flavor and ease. Top with queso fresco or queso panela (optional). As a quick lunch or snack, you’re going to love every spoonful.
Hungry For More
Sopa de Frijol (Mexican Bean Soup)
- To a blender, add 1 can of the pinquito beans, chipotle, salt, and 1 cup of water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Cook the chorizo. About 2-3 minutes.
- Break it up with a cooking spoon as it cooks.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 1 more minute.
- Drain 1 can of the pinquito beans.
- Add the can of drained beans, the bean mixture from the blender, and 2 cups of water to the pot.
- Using a cooking spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Serve and top with queso panela and cilantro, if using.
- For a creamier texture, blend both cans of the beans to the blender. Or, for a chunkier texture, add another can of beans.