This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with S&W Beans.
Crema de Frijol Negro takes me back to my childhood.
I grew up on this soup. My mom and my grandma used to make it ALL THE TIME.
Now, as a mom myself, I make it for my kiddo because it’s easy, hearty, and very satisfying.
Beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein and fiber that keeps you feeling full, supports your digestive health and can help lower cholesterol levels.
Let me show you how to make it…
Mexican food just wouldn’t be Mexican food without beans.
In this recipe, we are using S&W Black Beans, but you can easily use pinto beans.
That’s vegetable broth in the picture. OR, swap it out for chicken broth.
- Start by cooking the bacon.
- Remove the cooked bacon and drain any excess grease.
Discard the bacon grease except for about 1 tablespoon to cook the onion.
Set the bacon aside until ready to use.
Note: This step is totally OPTIONAL.
If you’re into a more plant-based diet, skip this step and use olive oil to cook the onion.
- Add the onion to the pot.
- Cook until translucent.
- Remove from the pot.
Onion takes 1-2 minute to cook.
Also, don’t wash the pot.
All of that brown stuff you see at the bottom of the pot has tons of flavor, and it will all come up once you add the bean sauce.
- Add the drained beans, salt, sauteed onions, sour cream, and broth to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
For the spicy food lover, add 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. It’ll add a nice kick.
Pro Tip:This is a thick soup. For a thinner soup, add 1 more cup of broth.
- Pour the bean sauce into the pot.
- Bring to a boil.
Stir occasionally while it’s cooking, or it will stick to the bottom.
Canned beans are a time saver!
S&W Beans are ready-to-use and so versatile. Keep them on hand in your pantry for quick and healthy meals or snacks.
The bean soup will thicken up as it cooks.
Also, taste for salt and texture. It should be smooth and delicious.
Here, we’re using black beans, but S&W Beans come in a variety of flavors, sizes, and colors to spice up any meal.
More Mexican Soups
Caldo de Camaron
Caldo de Pollo
Sopa de Coditos
Caldo de Res
Crema de Frijol Negro is a super tasty recipe made with canned black beans. Top with crumbled bacon and queso fresco and enjoy!
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Crema de Frijol Negro
- Heat butter in a large stock pot.
- Add the bacon.
- Cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel.
- Discard bacon fat except for 1 tablespoon.
- Cook the onion.
- About 1 minute.
- Remove the onion.
- Do not clean the stock pot.
- To a blender, add the drained black beans, cooked onion, salt, broth and sour cream.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the creamy bean sauce into the stock pot.
- Gently scrape the bottom to release any bits that were lingering.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and top with crumbled bacon and queso fresco.