This Mexican Breakfast Torta is more than just a breakfast sandwich; it’s a fiesta of flavors that will have your taste buds dancing. 💃🏽
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s one of my favorite ways to start the day.
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
And who could argue with that when you’re featuring this delicious Mexican sandwich recipe on your breakfast table?
Table of Contents
- 1 🥘 Ingredients
- 2 🥣 Instructions
- 3 🥪 Assemble Your Mexican Sandwich
- 4 🌟 Additions and Substitutions
- 5 Storing Instructions
- 6 👩🏼🍳 Pro Tips
- 7 🙋🏻♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 🍳 More Mexican Breakfast recipes
- 9 😋 Hungry for More?
- 10 Mexican Breakfast Torta
- Jalapeño finely diced
- Tomato diced
- Onion diced
- Ground Cumin
- Also, need:
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Cooked bacon slices
- Bread rolls (bollio, teleras, or French bread)
Want a lighter version? Try using egg whites or a mixture of egg whites and whole eggs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and ground cumin.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add a splash of olive oil.
- Toss in the diced jalapeño, tomato, and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lower the heat to medium and pour in your whisked egg whites.
Stir gently and frequently until the eggs are fully cooked. You’re looking for a soft, cloud-like texture!
This should take another 3-4 minutes. Aim for a soft eggs.
🥪 Assemble Your Mexican Sandwich
- Toast the bottom halves of the rolls till they’re warm and slightly crispy.
- In a small bowl, smash some avocado slices into a creamy spread.
- Smear this onto one side of your toasted bread.
- Top it with the fluffy egg mixture, bacon, and pickled jalapenos.
The mashed avocado works as a glue for the rest of the ingredients.
No avocado? No problem! Use a smear of sour cream. Or….
Instead of mashed avocado, add slices of avocado or spread a layer of refried beans on the bottom pieces of each roll.
🌟 Additions and Substitutions
- Sprinkle with salty cotija cheese or add shredded jack cheese to the bread when toasting.
- Love chorizo? Make some chorizo breakfast tortas. Cook the chorizo, then continue with the rest of this recipe.
- Best to use fresh crusty rolls for this recipe. If you can’t find bolillo, use French rolls. Both are acceptable to make Carne Asada Torta, Torta de Jamon, or Torta de Milanesa.
Place the top pieces of the crusty rolls and you’re good to go.
Drizzle some sour cream and hot sauce for that extra kick! Or, serve it as is or add a side of salsa. Top with chopped green onions (optional) for freshness.
There you have it! Your delicious morning torta is ready to be enjoyed! 😋
- Store the egg mixture and bread separately. That way the bread does not get soggy. Place the eggs in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat and assemble your sandwich when ready.
👩🏼🍳 Pro Tips
- If you’re making a batch, keep the assembled tortas on cookie sheet warm in a hot oven until you’re ready to serve.
- Take it up a notch! Skip the scrambled eggs and instead place a fried egg inside.
- For a more authentic Mexican cuisine touch, add crumbled queso fresco or a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Short on time? Use pre-cooked bacon to speed things up.
🙋🏻♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
A torta is a Mexican sandwich. Traditionally, it is served either in a bolillo, telera, or french roll. The filling varies from different types of meats, cheeses, and sauces.
Tortas in Mexico are sandwiches. Molletes are a type of torta, or Mexican sandwich. The bread is cut in half and smeared with refried beans and cheese. Once baked and the cheese is melted, the mollete is topped salsa and served for breakfast or lunch.
Yes! You can cook the egg mixture ahead of time and store it in an airtight container. Assemble when you’re ready to eat.
🍳 More Mexican Breakfast recipes
This Mexican Breakfast Torta kicks off the day right! Learn how to bring Mexican cuisine into your morning routine with this easy and flavorful recipe. Served with cafe de olla, of course!
😋 Hungry for More?
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below
Mexican Breakfast Torta
- 1 Avocado
- Pickled Jalapenos (as many as desired)
- 8 bacon slices cooked
- 4 Bread rolls
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the jalapeno, tomato, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with salt, pepper, and pinch of ground cumin.
- Lower the heat, and add the eggs to the pan.
- Stir frequently and gently until the eggs are cooked.
- About 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread.
- Smash the avocado and smear on one side of the bread.
- Add some of the egg mixture, a few jalapeno slices, and a couple of slices of bacon.
- Top with the other half.
- Repeat until the rest of the bread.
- Serve with salsa or as is and enjoy.