Jalapeño Poppers takes me back to The Mayan in Downtown Los Angeles. Does that place even exist anymore? When I was 21-years-old … a few years ago 😉 … it is was the spot. I wasn’t there to drink or hook up with guys. I was there for one reason, and one reason only: to BOOGIE! I would dance salsa all night. You can’t go dancing in sneakers either. You need cute, strappy high heels that leave you with blisters on your feet and a smile on your face. After a night of dancing, my friends and I always stopped at a restaurant to eat Jalapeño Poppers and talk about our night. Ahhh… the memories.
I never see Jalapeño Poppers on the menu anymore. What’s up with that? Are people too busy eating chia seeds and cauliflower pizza to remember how sinfully good Jalapeño Poppers are? You might need to take your heart medication before eating them though. I mean, fried yumminess stuffed with cream cheese is by no means healthy. For game day, summer BBQs, or just because, these are fabulous! On top of that, they are spicy. iMuy caliente! In my humble opinion, you gotta live life with a little spice. 😀
- Drain jalapeños.
- Cut the stems off.
- Carefully remove membranes and seeds.
- Combine cheeses in a small bowl.
- Spoon cheese mixture into a ziplock plastic bag.
- Snip off the end corner and pipe the cheese mixture evenly into peppers.
- Take out three plates,. To one plate, add flour. To another plate, add eggs. To the last plate, add the bread crumbs.
- Add salt and paprika to each plate.
- Working with one pepper at a time, dip in flour, egg, then breadcrumb.
- Add cooking spray to a baking sheet. Place jalapeños onto the baking sheet.
- Repeat procedure with remaining peppers.
- Add oil to deep pan.
- Heat oil and fry eat pepper until golden on each side.
- Do not crowd the pan or it will not brown properly.
- Remove from pan onto a plate with a paper towel. Let drain and cool. ENJOY!