Tis the season for grillin’! There’s something about grilled meats that I absolutely love. Maybe it’s the char from the BBQ sauce or tenderness of the meat. Barbecues are meant for summers, good friends, and yummy cocktails. What to make for your next backyard cookout? Grilled Tri Tip with Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
It all starts with a good spice rub the night before. This is a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, paprika, ground cumin, oregano, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stuff you can easily find in your cupboard. If not, THIS is a good one. Let this sit overnight, but no less than 6 hours.
Next is the Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce. If you’re not into making your sauce, here’s a sneaky chef trick. Buy a store bought BBQ sauce. THIS ONE is my favorite from-a-bottle sauce. Pour it into a saucepan, add the whiskey and chipotle powder. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, and ready. Easy, right?!
Grilling is an art, my friends. You can’t rush good BBQ. Take the meat out and let it rest. Reason for this is that you don’t want to shock the meat. Soft and tender meat, that’s what we’re after. In the meantime, heat up the grill.
When you place the meat on the grill, have your Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce ready for the first layer. Don’t walk away. That’s why you need to enlist someone to freshen up your drink. Close the lid. Let the grill do its THANG for 10-20 minutes. 10 minutes for the smaller tri tips, 20 minutes for the larger tri tips. Keep your cooking thermometer handy. It is ready when the Grilled Tri Tip with Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce reaches 145 degrees F for medium rare, 160 F for medium, and 175 F well done.
The MOST important part is the final step. Remove from the grill and tent it with foil paper. Let your Grilled Tri Tip with Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce rest. Minimum 10 minutes. If you don’t let it rest and just slice into it, the juices will spill out and your meat won’t be as juicy. Talk about a tragedy! Happy Grilling!
Grilled Tri Tip with Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 2 lbs Tri Tip
- For the Spice Rub:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- For the Whisky Chipotle BBQ Sauce:
- 1/2 onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder or less, depending on your taste
- Mix all the spice rub ingredients together.
- Add spice rub to the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or 6 hours minimum.
- For the Whiskey Chipotle BBQ Sauce:
- Add whiskey, garlic, and onion to a large skillet.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until onion is cooked and translucent.
- Add black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and chipotle powder.
- Bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- For a smoother consistency, strain the sauce.
- Set aside.
- Heat the grill to 350 degrees F.
- Place the meat on the grill.
- Apply the first layer of BBQ sauce.
- Close lid and cook for 10-20 minutes.
- (For smaller tri tips, 10 minutes)
- (For larger tri tips, 20 minutes)
- Turn and apply another layer of BBQ sauce.
- Close lid and again cook for 10-20 minutes.
- Tri tip is ready when 145 degrees F for medium rare, 160 F for medium, and 175 F well done.
- Cover with foil paper for a minimum of 10 minutes before slicing into thin slices.