Chorizo Cheese Dip is a cheese-lovers dream. Ooey gooey, melted cheese that’s mixed with Mexican chorizo. Add tortilla chips, and this party appetizer is sure to please any crowd.
Some people are addicted to chocolate. For me, it’s cheese. Yes please! I don’t need a 12-step program because I’m not a quitter. lol. Take it up a notch and melt it… sigh. I’m in cheese heaven. This Mexican appetizer is something that everyone can indulge in.
You start by cooking the chorizo. I’m using a lean beef chorizo. If you’re using pork chorizo, you will end up with a lot of fat. Be sure to drain it, leaving behind at least 1 tablespoon of cooking fat.
Remove the chorizo, and add the diced onion. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Next add, one tablespoon of white, all-purpose flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
It will look kind of clumpy. I highly advise to work quickly. That means, having everything ready to go before you start cooking.
Then slowly and gradually, add the milk. Stir constantly. It will start to bubble.
Add the cheese. I used 2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack. It started melting quickly. That’s why I was only able to get 1 cup of the cheese in the picture. You can also use Queso Oaxaca. Lastly, return the chorizo to the pan. Stir to combine… and done!
Wrap your taste buds around this Chorizo Cheese Dip. It’s sure to blow your mind. Serve with corn chips and make it a dip at your next Mexican fiesta or Cinco de Mayo celebration. Hope you enjoy!
Watch How to Make Chorizo Cheese Dip
Chorizo Cheese Dip
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chorizo.
- Break down the chorizo with your spatula.
- Cook until done. About 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from skillet.
- Drain chorizo on a paper towel.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Leave about 1 tablespoon of cooking fat.
- (Or, if you are using a lean chorizo, add 1 tablespoon oil).
- Add the onion to the skillet.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until translucent.
- Add the flour.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk.
- Stirring constantly.
- Bring to a bubble.
- Add the cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Add salt and return chorizo to the skillet.
- Stir to combine.
- Let cook slightly before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.