Whenever you go to a restaurant in Mexico, you will find agua frescas among the beverages offered. You can also find them at popsicle (paleta) stands. Or, look for vendors pushing carts.
One of the most common and popular Mexican agua frescas is Agua de Melon, or Cantaloupe Agua Fresca.
FYI: This type of drink is sometimes referred to as “Melon Water.”
how to make agua de melon
- Cut open the cantaloupe
- Remove and discard the seeds and peel.
- Dice the fleshly part of the fruit.
This Agua de Melon recipe is made with a ripe, juicy cantaloupe.
Wasting food is a big NO NO in Mexico. That’s how Agua Fresca was born. It a way to stretch and use up all our food.
Agua Fresca literally translated means “fresh water.” You might also see on the menu “Agua de Sabor” which loosely translated means “Flavored Water.”
Some of my favorite Agua Frescas:
Agua de Pepino y Limon (Cucumber Lime Agua Fresca)
Watermelon Agua Fresca (Agua de Sandia)
Agua de Jamaica (Jamaica Drink)
Agua de Platano (Banana Agua Fresca)
Agua de Tamarindo (Tamarind Water)
Agua de Piña (Pineapple Agua Fresca)
- Add the diced cantaloupe and sugar to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
You can also leave this step until the very end when you’re adding the water.
How to tell if the cantaloupe is ripe:
Smell the bottom of the cantaloupe.
It is often referred to as the “bellybutton” of the fruit. This is where the fruit and vine were connected. It’s a small, circular indentation.
If it smells like a cantaloupe, you’re in business. If not, move to the next one.
How to make sugar free agua fresca?
1 teaspoon liquid Stevia for 1/2 cup sugar.
You can also use stevia instead of sugar. You might need more Stevia depending on how sweet the fruit is.
Pro Tip: Add only 1 teaspoon Stevia. If after you’ve made the agua fresca it needs more sweetener, then add more sweetener at the end.
how to make agua de melon with milk
Use sweetened condensed milk to sweeten the agua de melon instead of sugar.
- Pour ½ 14-ounce container of sweetened condensed milk into the blender with the cantaloupe.
- Blend until smooth.
- Continue with the rest of the recipe.
Note: If the agua fresca is not sweet enough, add the remaining 1/2 of the sweetened condensed milk container.
- The consistency of the blended cantaloupe sugar mixture is thick.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer using the back of a cooking spoon.
Depending on your blender, you might not need to strain the mixture. However, it will leave you with a grainy Cantaloupe Agua Fresca.
For a finer texture, though, strain.
Also know that this mixture is extremely sweet because it is condensed.
- To make your Agua Fresca de Melon less sweet: Add more water.
- To make your Agua Fresca de Melon sweeter: Add more sugar.
Word to the Wise: Even if you don’t see agua frescas on the menu, ask if they have any. Chances are they do, and they have not updated their menus.
- Taste for good measure. This is the time to add more sugar or more water, if needed.
- Add ice cubes to a glass.
- Pour and enjoy!
How Long Does Agua Fresca Last?
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca lasts in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca lasts in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Hope you enjoy this refreshing Agua de Melon, or Cantaloupe Agua Fresca.
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca (Agua de Melon)
- 1 cantaloupe peeled and diced
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 cups water
- Add cantaloupe and sugar to the blender.
- Using the back of a cooking spoon, strain the mixture.
- In a large pitcher, add the cantaloupe mixture and water.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste for good measure.
- Add ice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca lasts in the freezer for up to 1 year. For a Sugar Free Cantaloupe Agua Fresca: 1 teaspoon Stevia instead. Add more if desired. Depending on the how sweet the cantaloupe is, you might not even need to add sugar. Taste before adding more.