This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tacos de Bistec (or Mexican Steak Tacos) are so tasty and so easy to make.
They are one of the most traditional types of street tacos and perfect for Taco Tuesday.
Served with warm tortillas and lots of yummy toppings.
Bistec is the Spanish term for “beef steak.” Top round, sirloin, flank steak, skirt steak, or any thinly sliced cut of beef work well.
Lime juice will help in tenderizing the meat. Another option is adding a mixture of lime and orange juice.
Olive Oil – Swap out for vegetable oil or go the traditional route and use lard.
Salt and pepper are the only spices needed.
You can also add fajita seasoning, garlic powder, ground cumin, or oregano to add more flavor.
And of course, the toppings!
- Add salt, pepper, and lime juice to the meat.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
Since the beef is thinly sliced, it does not need a long time to marinate. Or try a fajita marinade to give it more flavor.
Again, you can add more ingredients, but the beauty of these tacos is that it’s a simple recipe.
Don’t confuse this recipe with carne asada tacos. Carne asada is always grilled. This recipe is cooked in a pan, or it can be cooked on a flat skillet.
- Heat the oil.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side.
The beef steaks will cook quickly since we are using a thin cut of beef.
Place the meat on a plate covered with aluminum foil while you’re cooking up the remainder of the steaks. That way they will keep warm.
Many people will add diced potatoes to this dish. That’s totally optional.
- Let the meat cool slightly.
- Chop into tiny pieces.
In the meantime, warm up corn tortillas.
As you can see, these traditional tacos are great for busy weeknights.
- Place in a plastic container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- In the freezer, place inside a plastic freezer bag and remove as much air as possible. It will last up to 4 months.
- In the microwave, heat on high for 3 1/2 minutes if frozen. Heat 2 minutes on high if from the fridge. Keep in mind that microwaves can vary.
- On the stove, reheat on medium-high heat with 1/4 cup broth for 3-4 minutes, if thawed. If frozen, add 1/4 cup broth and cook for 6-7 minutes and serve.
Warm up tortillas separately.
What to Serve With Your Tacos?
Traditionally, the Tacos de Bistec are topped with diced onion and cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime and your favorite spicy salsa to take them to the next level. Provecho!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Tacos de Bistec
- chopped cilantro
- diced onion
- Rinse the beef and pat dry.
- Drizzle with lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Turn to coat well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Heat oil.
- Cook beef 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Cook the remainder of the beef.
- Dice into small pieces.
- Warm up tortillas.
- Add a generous amount of the beef to the center of each tortilla.
- Top with cilantro and diced onion.
- Serve with your favorite salsa.