We don’t really get a fall in San Diego. It just gets cooler, and we all bundle up in sweaters, jackets, and scarves. 62 degrees F is frickin’ freezing! People on the East Coast must think we’re a little cray cray. Well, we kinda sorta are. LOL. It’s our version of cold, and that calls for soup. In this case, I made a light and creamy Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup to warm our chilled bellies.
Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup is comfort food for the Mexican soul. You start by roasting the poblanos. In some parts, they refer to them as pasilla. I once was at a grocery store in Mexico where they labeled them “poblanos” in one part of the store, and in the other part of the store, they labeled them “pasilla.” Not kidding. Whatever you call them, buy them and then roast them. If you don’t know how…
Watch How to Roast Poblano Peppers
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
In a good-sized stockpot, add a tablespoon butter and diced onion. Cook for 1 minute, or until the onion is translucent.
Add the poblano mixture to the stockpot. Cover and reduce to low heat. Bring to a simmer.
It’s at this point that you want to add your frozen corn. Once it begins to simmer again, add the crema mexicana. If you can’t find crema mexicana, you can use half and half or heavy cream. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Just enough to heat it up, but don’t let it boil. Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup is delicious, rich, and deeply satisfying. Instead of a pot of gold, this a big pot of yummy green. Hope you enjoy!
Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup
- Roast chiles poblanos, peel, stem removed, and de-vein.
- Rough chop and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, add butter and saute the onions until translucent. 1-2 minutes.
- In a blender, add roasted chiles, evaporated milk, garlic, and onion.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the poblano mixture and chicken broth to the stockpot.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the crema mexicana (or half and half, if using).
- Stir to combine.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!