This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Palomitas Seasoning Mix will take movie night to the next level!
What are palomitas?
Palomitas translated into English means “popcorn.”
It’s one of my favorite snacks ever!
Just as in the US, popcorn in Mexico is sold at movie theaters, sports games, concerts, etc.
We have some interesting toppings in Mexico. Keep reading to learn more.
I like to sprinkle it with this easy popcorn seasoning recipe. Spicy, sweet, delicious!
- Popcorn – Pop some fresh from kernels, in the microwave, or pick up a bag from the grocery store.
- Salt enhances the flavors of the popcorn and other spices.
- Sugar for balance
- Oregano adds a robust herby taste.
- Cumin is earthy and warm.
- Garlic Powder is pungent and tasty.
- Chile de Arbol is spicy. Swap out for paprika if you’re not into really spicy food.
- Red Pepper – Either flakes, crushed, ground, or look for red chili powder or ground cayenne.
Want to spice it up even more? Try adding 1/2 tsp more of the chile de arbol or add ½ tsp of ground chipotle.
- Combine all the spices in a bowl.
- Spray the popcorn with butter spray or add melted butter.
- Pour the seasoning mix over the popcorn.
- Toss to combine.
Popcorn is best when it is freshly popped. Bagged popcorn doesn’t last more than a few days.
I suggest adding a little of the seasoning mix at a time. Add more or less depending on personal taste.
This is a working recipe, a starting point. Adjust as you see fit.
Double the batch and save some for later. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
We have some rather unusual toppings in Mexico.
Mexican Toppings for Popcorn:
- A very popular topping is hot sauce like Valentina or Tapatio.
- Pickled jalapenos are tangy and sweet.
- Ketchup. Yes, ketchup, the same red tomato sauce used on top of hot dogs.
- Mayonnaise. Or, a mixture of mayonnaise with ketchup.
- Tajin is tangy, sweet and a little spicy.
- Lime juice makes popcorn zesty and bright.
- Chamoy is syrupy and spicy, often paired with candy and other antojitos.
- Butter. A classic that is enjoyed all around the world.
Not all of these are found at movie concession stands, but you will find some, if not several. Don’t knock them til you try ‘em.
Other Mexican Snacks:
This Palomitas Seasoning Mix is a delicious combination of flavors. Make it for movie night, game day, or as an afternoon snack. So tasty!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Palomitas Seasoning Mix
- 6 cups popcorn (already popped)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp ground chile de arbol
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes or powder
- butter spray (or melted butter)
- Pop the popcorn.
- Meanwhile, mix the seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
- Spray the popcorn with oil, or drizzle with the melted butter.
- Add little by little to the popcorn until you reach desired taste.
- Toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy.
I love savory popcorn and have never had this kind of popcorn before and am looking forward to trying it.
Hope you could make this recipe soon.