Molletes Dulces are made of buttered toast and topped with cinnamon and sugar.
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These are sweet and different from traditional, savory Mexican molletes that feature refried beans and pico de gallo.
They are Mexico’s version of cinnamon “toast” and normally served for breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack.
Crispy on the outside and soft and buttery on the inside. Simply delicious!
Table of Contents
Bolillo bread is traditionally used. However, you can use any type of bread like telera, birotes, french bread, even just plain sandwich bread.
Butter – Don’t skimp on the butter. It will act like glue and hold the cinnamon and sugar on the bread.
- Slice the bread lengthwise.
- Butter both sides.
Take the butter out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. That way it can spread easily.
OR, zap it in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Highly recommended: Day old bread is fine to use, but best if it’s fresh.
- Place the bolillo rolls under the broiler for 4 minutes.
- Or, place on a hot skillet buttered-side down. Cook for 2 minutes.
See how the edges are toasted?
This is what will give you that crunch when you bite into the bread. Yum!
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Add more or less depending on your taste.
This is the most traditional way to make these, but of course, there are variations.
Use your imagination when making these sweet molletes. There is no exact recipe per se. It all depends on your personal taste.
Here are some other topping variations:
How to Store
Tightly wrap in plastic wrap. They will not last more than one day. Eat right away.
How to Reheat
To reheat, warm up an oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 2-3 minutes.
Molletes Dulces are a yummy and easy alternative to pan dulce. Make for breakfast with café de olla and enjoy!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
- Slice the bolillos in half.
- Butter each slice of 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add more or less, if needed.
- Place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, or until the edges are crispy.
- Sprinkle each bread with ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Sprinkle each bread with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Add more or less, depending on taste.
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Strawberry Jam