This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coctel de Camarones (or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail) – This dish reminds me of Ensenada and the Valle de Guadalupe.
Baja California is AMAZING! Beaches, wine, and the best seafood! If you ever visit, you must check out the Mercado Negro fish market in Ensenada.
My favorite thing to get whenever I go is this DELICIOUSNESS right here!
Refreshing, spicy, and so so yummy.
More Mexican Shrimp Recipes:
Camarones a la Diabla
Ceviche de Camaron
Caldo de Camaron
These are all the ingredients you need to make this EASY Mexican appetizer or light lunch.
Add more jalapeno and more hot sauce for a spicier dish.
Cucumber is also optional, but adds GREAT texture.
What is the difference between ceviche and shrimp cocktail?
- Ceviche is seafood (usually fish or shrimp) that is “cooked” in lime juice. It marinates for hours or overnight in the fridge before serving.
- Shrimp cocktail is made of boiled shrimp. They are mixed with cucumber, jalapeno, and covered in a spicy tomato sauce. It is ready to eat after chilling.
- Start by covering the onion with lime.
- Set aside.
You want to get that raw onion taste out right away. This will start the pickling process.
The Name Game:
You might hear the names: Coctel de Camaron or Cocktail de Camarones.
Most people will use the name Coctel de Camarones, and that is what I call it.
All of these names are correct.
- Boil the shrimp in water.
- Once the shrimp turn pink, discard the water.
- Let them cool completely.
- Mix with the tomato, cucumber, jalapeno, and salt and pepper.
To stop the cooking process, run cold water on the shrimp. This will also prevent them from becoming tough.
Pro Tip:Find shrimp that are already cleaned and deveined. That’s is the easiest way to make this recipe. Or, you will need to remove the digestive tract before cooking.
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp! Say what?! This dish is full of flavors that will mask the frozen yuckiness.
Optimal Shrimp Sizes:Medium to Jumbo size shrimp. This all depends on how you are going to serve it and the size of your bowl or cup. The smaller the cup, the smaller size shrimp to use.
- To the onions, add tomato juice, ketchup, and hot sauce.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the mixture to the shrimp.
Ketchup adds sweetness, but some people will omit it for a lighter texture. That’s totally up to you.
Look for Clamato. That’s what everyone uses. Can’t find it? Mix 4 oz of tomato sauce and whisk with 1 cup water.
More Mexican Seafood Recipes:
Shrimp Chile Rellenos
Tortitas de Papa con Atun
Ceviche de Pescado
The cilantro and avocado go in last. Fold the avocado in gently.
Or, place it right on top when serving.
How Long Does it Last?
Coctel de Camarones lasts up to 2-3 days in the fridge before it goes bad. Freezing is not recommended.
Serve with hot sauce such as Cholula, Valentina, Tapatio
Also serve with saltine crackers, tostadas, and lime.
Coctel de Camarones is such a tasty and delicious recipe. You’ll love every bite!
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Coctel de Camarones, or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- Juice of 3 limes about ¼ cup
- 1 lb cooked medium-sized shrimp - peeled deveined, and tails removed
- 2 roma tomatoes finely diced
- 1 cucumber finely diced
- 1-2 jalapeños pepper seeded and finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice such as Clamato
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Hot pepper sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro - discard stems and leaves chopped
- 2 avocados - peeled pitted, and diced
- In a small bowl, mix the onion with the lime juice.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a separate and much larger bowl, add the shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- You can add more jalapeños, if you like it spicier.
- To the onions, add the tomato juice, ketchup, and hot pepper sauce.
- With a fork, whisk to combine.
- Then add the tomato-onion mixture to the shrimp bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the cilantro and avocados.
- Gently mix everything.
- Note: You can also top off the serving with the avocado instead of adding it to the mixture.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Oh yes, I love all the ingredients in this shrimp cocktail.
Thank you! This Coctel de Camarones (or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail) is the best. 🙂
This sounds so so refreshing! I love dishes like this, and you can’t go wrong with juicy shrimp.
I could eat this Coctel de Camarones (or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail) every day, all day. Thank you for your comment!
Omg I miss this version of shrimp cocktail so much! It’s so loaded with flavours, so excited I can make this at home now! 🙂
That’s awesome! Hope you enjoy your Coctel de Camarones (or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail). 🙂
Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
I am the worst on haggling price! Lol- love your comment that they’re disappointed if you don’t. I will keep that in mind and go for it next time I am in Mexico.
My Mexican mom is impressive to watch. Her haggling skills are the best. I could tell you stories… Ha! Unfortunately, I did not inherit those skills. lol.
I’m jealous of your trip! But this recipe seems like a good way to capture the flavors of your south-of-the-border adventure! Yum!
Thank you. Living so close to the border has its advantages. I could eat this Coctel de Camarones (or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail) everyday!
Made this on a hot summer evening. My wife thanked me three times while she was eating it. Absolutely delicious. Thank you for the recipe!
So glad you and your wife enjoyed it! This recipe is really yummy.
Best recipe for shrimp cocktail!!!
Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed this.
That shrimp looks so amazing and added to all those great spices and sauces makes it a great appetizer. I kow my son will love this if I make it for him.
It’s amazing. hope you try it
Spicy shrimp sounds delicious. I will have to get some shrimp to make this
Great. It’s a really yummy dish, hope you try it
I have never had a shrimp cocktail before. I always hear they’re amazing though. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.
It is amazing! Hope you try it
I would definitely add some cucumber on it. Looks so delicious.
Thanks! Hope you try it!
Oh my goodness! This cocktail looks so fancy and delicious! Love it!
And it tastes even better than it looks!
My friends are going to freak out over this recipe! Thank you!
So glad you enjoyed this!
This looks delicious and perfect for the warmer weather that will be here soon.
So glad you enjoyed this Beth!
It looks amazing. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any day!!!
So glad you enjoyed this!