This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fish Ceviche (Ceviche de Pescado) is the perfect warm-weather food. You never feel heavy after you eat this delish. It’s full of all your favorite Mexican flavors.
On top of that, it’s cheap and easy to make.
Very similar to Ceviche de Camarón, only this recipe is made with fish.
Talk about a great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Winner! No chicken dinner, and it’ll help you stay thinner.
- Frozen fish tilapia
- Lime juice
For those who don’t want to use raw onions or a strong spicy flavor, you can also use pickled onions and pickled jalapeños.
If you prefer, add cucumber and nopales ingredients too.
- Chop the frozen tilapia into tiny pieces.
- Be sure to keep it cold, or it will go bad.
Mushy defrosted fish actually comes in hand when you’re chopping it up into tiny pieces. If it’s too watery, squeeze out with your hands any extra liquid.
Can I use frozen fish for ceviche?
Absolutely! This tasty recipe is easier than shrimp ceviche since cleaning raw shrimp takes time.
You can use fresh fish too, but I suggest you use firm white fish.
What types of fish are used in ceviche?
You can use cod, grouper, haddock, or sea bass. Any firm white fish will do.
- Squeeze the limes.
- You will need 6 key limes or 3 regular limes.
That’s the trick.
Thanks to this, we can use frozen fish. The citrusy lime juice will mask that frozen flavor and will give it a refreshing touch.
Is it raw?
Technically, ceviche is not raw, but it’s not cooked either. Cooking requires heat, and ceviche never touches a skillet. The acid from the lime “cooks” the fish in a chemical process called denaturation.
It kills all the bad bacteria, making ceviche SAFE to eat.
- Chop up the onions, tomatoes, and jalapeños.
- Set aside until ready to use.
This is a classic combination in the Mexican cuisine, using these ingredients greatly enhances its flavor and gives it a lighter and fresher touch.
- Drain any liquid that might have come out of the fish.
- Mix the onions, tomatoes, and jalapeño with the fish.
- Pour the lime juice and mix well.
Be sure to remove as much of the liquid as possible, or you’ll end up with a watery dish.
You can’t rush an excellent dish like this, give it at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
How long will it last?
If your fish is fresh, ceviche can last up to 3 days in the fridge. Do not let it go longer than that, or it can make people sick.
- If you cook a lot of Mexican food, chop this trio of ingredients up (onions, tomatoes, and jalapeños) in double quantities. Chop once, cook it twice. It makes for faster cooking.
This Ceviche de Pescado recipe is a keeper. It’s a tasty Mexican seafood recipe that you’ll make again and again as a quick and easy appetizer on warm days or during Lent.
MORE CEVICHE RECIPES:
Hungry for More?
Fish Ceviche (Ceviche de Pescado)
- 1 lb White Fish (such as tilapia)
- 1 tspn salt
- 3 Lime juice (6 key limes)
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 cucumber (optional)
- 1 diced avocado (optional)
- Wash the fish.
- Pat dry.
- Chop into ½ inch pieces.
- In plastic or glass container, add the fish, salt, and lime juice.
- Cover and refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Add onion, tomato, jalapeno, cucumber (if using), and cilantro.
- Mix well.
- Cover again and refrigerate for another 1/2 hour.
- Mix in avocado right before serving.
- Serve with saltine crackers or on top of a tostada.