This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This fish is delish. Fish Ceviche is the perfect warm weather food. You never feel heavy after you eat it. It’s full of all your favorite Mexican flavors.
On top of that, it’s cheap and easy to make. Talk about a great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Winner! No chicken dinner, and it’ll help you stay thinner.
Ceviche de Camaron, Scallop Ceviche, Salmon Ceviche, Vegan Ceviche
- Frozen fish tilapia
- Lime juice
For those of you who do not want to use raw onions, you can also use , pickled onions.
For a less spicy ceviche, you can use pickled jalapenos. Other ingredients you can add: cucumber and nopales.
Shrimp Pozole, Pescado Zarandeado Camarones a la Veracruzana
- Chop fish into tiny pieces.
- Be sure to keep the fish cold, or it will go bad.
Fish ceviche is easier than shrimp ceviche. Cleaning raw shrimp takes time. With fish ceviche, you can even use frozen fish. SAY WHAT?!
Mushy defrosted fish actually comes in hand when you’re chopping it up into tiny pieces. If it’s too mushy, squeeze out with your hands an extra liquid.
- Squeeze the limes.
- You will need 6 key limes or 3 regular limes.
This is the reason you can use frozen fish. The citrusy lime juice will mask the frozen fish flavor.
Is it Raw?
Technically, ceviche is not raw, but it’s not cooked either. Cooking requires heat, and ceviche never touches a skillet. The acid from the lime “cooks” the fish in a chemical process called denaturation.
It kills all the bad bacteria, making ceviche SAFE to eat.
- Chop up the onions, tomatoes, and jalapenos.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Word to the Wise: If you cook a lot of Mexican food, chop this trio of ingredients up in double quantities. Chop once, cook it twice. It makes for faster cooking.
- Drain any liquid that might have come out of the fish.
- Mix the onions, tomatoes, and jalapeno with the fish.
- Pour the lime juice and mix well.
Be sure to remove as much of the liquid as possible, or you’ll end up with a watery dish.
This dish does not take any THYME, but it does take TIME. You can’t hurry good Fish Ceviche. 30 minutes in the fridge.
You can even make Fish Ceviche days ahead.
How Long Will It Last?
Ceviche lasts up to 3 days in the fridge. Do not let it go longer than that, or it can make people sick.
What to serve it with?
- Corn Chips
- Homemade tostadas
- Saltine Crackers
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Refried Beans
- Queso Panela
- Queso Fresco
This recipe for Fish Ceviche (Ceviche de Pescado) is a keeper. It’s a tasty Mexican seafood recipe that you’ll make over and over again.
For Fish Fridays during Lent or as a quick and easy appetizer that will please any crowd. Hope you enjoy!
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Fish Ceviche (Ceviche de Pescado)
- 1 lb White Fish (such as tilapia)
- 1 tspn salt
- 3 Lime juice (6 key limes)
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 cucumber (optional)
- 1 diced avocado (optional)
- Wash the fish.
- Pat dry.
- Chop into ½ inch pieces.
- In plastic or glass container, add the fish, salt, and lime juice.
- Cover and refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Add onion, tomato, jalapeno, cucumber (if using), and cilantro.
- Mix well.
- Cover again and refrigerate for another 1/2 hour.
- Mix in avocado right before serving.
- Serve with saltine crackers or on top of a tostada.