This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How does beef tongue taste like?Beef Tongue can be hard to find. Look for it in Mexican grocery markets or speciality stores. It tastes like other red meats like flank steak, lamb shank, filet mignon. It is fattier but milder in taste. Tongue is soft, only slightly chewy.
- Open the package and rinse the Beef Tongue well.
- It usually takes about 3 rinses until there is no blood.
Is cow tongue safe to eat?Yes, cow tongue is safe to eat. However, it has its nutritional advantages and disadvantages. Nutritional Advantages: It is rich in zinc, iron, choline, and vitamin B12. Disadvantages: It is fatty and is high in cholesterol. It is said to be beneficial for women who are pregnant.
- Place the tongue in the slow cooker along with garlic, onion, a bay leaf, and salt.
- Cover with water. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours.
How to Cook Beef Tongue on the Stove
- Add water (about 4 inches above the meat) in a large and deep stockpot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours.
- Once it’s fully cooked, remove from the slow cooker.
- Let it cool slightly before removing the outer layer.
Who eats beef tongue?Beef Tongue was very popular in the US until the 1950s. It is still eaten throughout the world and in many cultures. Here are some examples: Pickled Beef Tongue (Jewish) or Gytuan, or BBQ Beef Tongue (Japanese). To make this Mexican beef tongue recipe, slice the meat. If you are going to make Tacos de Lengua, however, you should chop the meat into tiny little pieces. Remember that the meat will break down even further when it’s in the pan. It’s all preference.
How to cook beef tongue Mexican-style
- Put all the ingredients under a broiler for 10 minutes until they blister.
- Then add them to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Pro Tip:Make a double batch of the salsa. Use half now and freeze the other half for later.
- Heat two tablespoons oil to a large skillet.
- Add the salsa and stir for a few minutes.
- Next add the cooked Beef Tongue.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Side DishesPinto Beans Arroz Mexicano Corn Tortillas Don’t be tongue tied. Serve it with pride. Beef Tongue in Roasted Mexican Salsa, or Lengua en Salsa Asada is a bold and flavorful dish. So tender and so delicious.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Beef Tongue in Roasted Mexican Salsa (Lengua en Salsa Asada)
- Rinse the beef tongue with enough water until the water comes out clean.
- It usually takes about 3-4 rinses.
- Place the beef tongue in the slow cooker.
- Add enough water to cover the meat.
- Add 1 garlic clove, ½ onion, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cover and set on low for 6-8 hours, or high 4-6 hours.
- Remove the cooked beef tongue from the slow cooker and set aside.
- Let cool to touch and peel the outer layer using your hands or tongs.
- Remove any fatty areas. (You can also do this part before cooking).
- Cut into thin slices.
- Set aside.
- In a foil-lined sheet pan, add the tomatoes, ½ onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 jalapeño.
- Coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil and add salt and pepper.
- Broil on high for 8-10 minutes, or until everything is blistered.
- Add all the roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeño to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste for salt.
- In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the roasted tomato salsa and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked beef tongue.
- Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas and Mexican rice.
I LOVE LENGUA, THE FIRST TIME I MADE IT FOR MY HUSBAND, HE WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZED, NOW HE ASKED FOR IT ALL THE TIME, BUT IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE.
I know what you mean. We only have it on special occasions.
I bought mine at Walmart, $21 which was much more reasonable than La Michocana Grocery store that wanted $41!!
Holy moly! That’s expensive. I don’t know why meat is so expensive these days.
This definitely sounds like a unique but flavorful dish!! Will definitely have to try someday!
cute & little
I’m one of those people who say what cow tongue????? But this does look good!
joy abou zeid
that looks super good, thanks for sharing xx
Have never tried sounds really good.
It tastes amazing guys! My kids love it too! Highly highly recommend!
Best Kitchen Utensils
So glad you and your kids liked it!
I’ve always liked Lengua. This was my first time making it and my whole family ejoyed it. Next time I would wanna try and sear it up a little more just for texture. But the flavor everything was perfect. Definitely a new favorite.
Glad to hear that your family enjoyed it. Made my day!!
Rose Mary Telles
El Super market sends out circulars that advertise tongue at less than $3 per pound. FFood King also has frequent specials on tongue.
I wish I had one by me. Thanks for sharing.