I have a crazy addiction to popcorn. I really should start going to meetings or something. I eat it almost every night. It must be something in the Unzueta genes because my brother is just as in love with popcorn as I am. For his wedding, I bought him a popcorn maker. He also has a personalized popcorn container which would be a really neat birthday or Christmas gift. Hint! Hint! One of my favorite ways of making it: Bacon Popcorn. That’s right, my friends. Bacon and popcorn in one big bowl… Mmmmmm!
There are two kinds of people in this world: Bacon Lovers and Liars.
Making popcorn on the stovetop is old school. Microwave popcorn is a million times easier, but when you’re making this recipe, you don’t want to miss out on all the bacon goodness. I’m using bacon fat to pop the kernels instead of oil. It’s for all my fellow bacon fiends and worth the extra step. It takes the Bacon Popcorn to a whole new level that your tastebuds will love.
You know when you go to the movie theatre, and the bottom doesn’t have any butter. HATE THAT! I have a tip for you to solve that problem.
Popcorn Tip: Add half the popcorn into a BIG popcorn bowl and add the bacon butter mixture. (see recipe) Mix it well. Then add the other half and the remaining bacon butter. Mix that well. That way, the bottom of the bowl will be just as good as the top of your Bacon Popcorn.
- Cook the bacon in a big stock pot.
- Remove the bacon but reserve about 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add the popcorn kernels and cook.
- Shake the pot several times every few minutes so it won’t burn.
- Do this until you don’t hear anymore popping.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small pot, add butter, cooked bacon, cumin, and cayenne.
- Cook until the butter is melted.
- Add the bacon butter to the cooked popcorn.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the popcorn while the butter is hot.
- Toss and mix well.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.