This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Arroz con Camarones (Mexican Rice with Shrimp) is so super tasty!
My mom was a busy woman always on the run. One day, she added shrimp to her rice and a new family favorite was born.
I’ve seen other versions of this dish, but this is my mom’s version.
It comes together FAST and packed with FLAVOR!
These are all the ingredients that you’ll need.
Here, we’re using large shrimp. You can also use medium-size shrimp.
Pro Tip:Don’t spend hours and hours cleaning and deveining shrimp. Splurge a little and buy shrimp that has already been deveined.
Homemade chicken broth is also in the picture above. Don’t have any? Substitute it by using water + chicken bouillon.
More Mexican Shrimp Recipes:
Camarones a la Diabla
Camarones con Calabacitas
- Heat the oil and add the rice.
- Stir constantly to toast the rice. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and onions.
- Stir until the rice is golden.
Altogether, toasting the rice and veggies should take about 4-5 minutes.
We’re using regular long grain rice. I don’t recommend brown rice or any other type of rice for this dish.
Be very careful NOT to burn the rice, or you will need to start over.
It’s very similar to Arroz Blanco which is also made by toasting the rice.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, garlic, salt, and cumin.
- Stir. Don’t stir again, or the rice will turn out mushy.
Canned Tomato Sauce is thicker than homemade tomato sauce. If using homemade tomato sauce, only use 1 1/2 cups of broth.
At this point, you can also add other veggies such as green beans, peas, even potatoes.
- Make a slice in a jalapeno.
- Add to the pot.
- Cover and cook.
This will cook for 8 minutes.
The jalapeno is completely optional. It will not make the rice spicy, but it will give tons of flavor.
Or, try adding a serrano pepper instead of a jalapeno.
- Add the shrimp and remaining chicken broth.
- Cover and cook.
When you add the shrimp, there should still be liquid in the pot. The rice will ALMOST be done cooking.
For here, it will only take a few minutes for the shrimp to cook.
Leave the lid on and turn the heat OFF. Let sit for 2 minutes.
This step is to make sure the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and not to overcook the shrimp.
It’s delicious and perfect for busy weeknights.
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Arroz con Camarones
- Heat the oil in a stock pot.
- Add the rice.
- Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot and onion.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, salt, tomato sauce, and 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Don't stir again, or the rice will be mushy.
- Slice through a jalapeno and add to the pot. (Optional)
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 8 minutes
- Add the remaining broth and shrimp.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is completely gone.
- Leave the lid on and turn heat off.
- After 2 minutes, serve and enjoy!