This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sopa de Lentejas is one of my kiddo’s favorite meals.
My son loves riding his bike, video games, and lentil soup. Yes, you read that right – lentils.
Who knew this little bean would ever compete with chicken nuggets?! Lol!
You’re going to love this delicious Mexican lentil soup recipe just as much as my son.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Make It
- 2 Can I substitute green lentils for brown lentils?
- 3 Do lentils need to be soaked?
- 4 To this a complete one-pot meal, try adding:
- 5 Variations:
- 6 How Long Does It Last?
- 7 Mexican Lentil Soup, or Sopa de Lentejas
How to Make It
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot.
- Saute the carrots for 2 minutes.
- Add white onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Then add the rinsed lentils and add to the pot and plenty of cold water.
Pull out a large pot. The largest one you have.
We are using basic ingredients in this easy recipe.
To add more flavor, use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or bouillon cubes instead of water.
Can I substitute green lentils for brown lentils?
Yes. You can substitute one for the other. Both hold their shape well and are similar in taste. Red lentils tend to melt easily, and if you want a smoother lentejas soup, this variety works well.
Do lentils need to be soaked?
No. Lentils don’t need to soaked, but if you soak them, it reduces the cooking time in half.
- Add the garlic cloves, salt, and bay leaf to the soup pot.
- Cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
You are looking for tender lentils. Not “snuggly soft” – easy-to-chew soft.
This recipe is 100% Mexican vegan. 100% Mexican vegetarian. It’s also a great recipe to make during the Lent season.
To this a complete one-pot meal, try adding:
- calabacitas or Italian zucchini
- green beans
For a little heat, try adding diced jalapeno.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Cook 10 minutes.
The tomato sauce will thicken the soup slightly. For a really thick soup, add tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes.
Please know that this is my way of making this recipe and everyone seems to have their own version of lentil soup.
This Mexican lentils recipe is incredibly easy and very adaptable.
Some people will even add cloves, cinnamon, ground cumin, or fresh cilantro to the soup. Many people like to add Mexican chorizo, top it with hot sauce, or add a squeeze lime.
How Long Does It Last?
- In the fridge, the soup lasts 3-4 days in a airtight container.
- In the freezer, it can last up to 6 months in a sealable plastic bag.
Mexican Lentil Soup, or Sopa de Lentejas, is a warm taste of home. It’s the perfect comfort food and a great way to warm up on rainy days. Serve this easy lunch with tortilla chips, bolillo, or these Easy Dinner Rolls.
Hungry for More?
Mexican Lentil Soup, or Sopa de Lentejas
- Heat oil in a large stock pot.
- Saute the carrots for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions. Cook for 1 minute.
- Rinse the lentils and add to the pot.
- Add water, garlic, salt, and bay leaf.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Serve and enjoy.
- In the fridge, Sopa de Lentejas last 3-4 days.
- In the freezer, Mexican Lentil soup can last up to 6 months.
This post was recently updated. You might remember the old picture.
Maggie Unzueta is the writer/blogger, photographer, recipe developer, videographer, and creator of In Mama Maggie's Kitchen. She has been developing easy and authentic Mexican food, Mexican-inspired recipes, and traveling tips since 2010. From family recipes to her extensive travels throughout Mexico, she brings traditional Mexican flavors from South of the Border and into your kitchen. Maggie has been featured in notable culinary websites and other media outlets. For more details, check out her About page.