This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Mazola® Corn Oil.
Huevo en Salsa (or Eggs in Mexican Red Salsa) is a delicious and easy-to-make breakfast dish that packs a punch of flavor.
The dish consists of gently cooked eggs simmered in a spicy sauce. This hearty and filling meal is traditionally served with warm corn tortillas.
Whether you’re a fan of Mexican food, or just looking for a new breakfast recipe, Huevo en Salsa is sure to satisfy your taste buds!
- Ground Oregano
- Guajillo Chiles
- Mazola® Corn Oil
Water is used several times in this recipe. Please refer to the recipe card for exact measurement.
Also, these are large eggs. Use 2 more eggs if using medium-sized.
How to Make Tomato Guajillo Sauce
- Begin by boiling the onion, tomato, and garlic.
- After 4-5 minutes of boiling, add the dried guajillo chiles to the pot.
- Turn heat off and leave everything in the hot water for 5 minutes.
- Discard the liquid. Then, blend the sauce ingredients until smooth.
Substitute for jalapeno if you don’t have guajillo. In that case, you’re making Huevos al Albañil.
Traditionally, that dish is made with jalapeno. If using, cook the jalapeno with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat Mazola® Corn Oil in the same stock pot used to boil the ingredients.
- Strain the sauce into the pot and let cook.
Don’t skip this step! I highly recommend doing this especially if you are making the sauce ahead of time. It will make the sauce last longer.
Mazola® Corn Oil is a heart-healthy* cooking oil that is perfect for this recipe. Mazola® Corn Oil’s neutral taste is also perfect for this dish as it will help develop a thicker consistency and let the flavors shine throughout every bite.
How to Cook the Eggs
- Beat the eggs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the eggs.
- Leave the eggs in the pan until it looks similar to an omelet.
- Then, mix gently.
Once the bottom has firmed up, fold the eggs gently.
Adjust the heat to medium-low to low. You don’t want the eggs to turn brown right away.
- Break up the eggs as they cook.
- Add the sauce and mix well.
The eggs will continue cooking with the sauce.
From here, it’s a matter of minutes. Once the sauce is heated through, breakfast is ready!
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can freeze the sauce for up to 5 months. Thaw and use as normal.
What to Serve it With?
Huevo en Salsa, or Eggs in Mexican Red Salsa, is the breakfast fiesta you need! It’s a great way to treat mom on Mother’s Day or a delicious start to a lazy Sunday morning. Provecho!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Huevo en Salsa (Eggs in Mexican Salsa)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 cups water (to cook tomatoes)
- 5 guajillo chiles
- pinch oregano (ground or whole)
- 1/2 tsp salt (for the salsa)
- 1 cup water (to blend the salsa)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt (for the eggs)
- Place the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a stock pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn the heat off.
- Remove stems and seeds from the dried chiles.
- Add the chiles to the stock pot and let sit in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Blend rehydrated chiles with tomatoes, garlic, onion, oregano, and salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Strain the sauce into the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and season with ½ teaspoon salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil, add the eggs, and cook until almost done.
- Break up slightly. Gently folding them in.
- Add the sauce and mix to combine.
- Let cook together for 2–3 minutes.
- Serve with beans and tortillas.
*See www.mazola.com for information about the relationship between corn oil and heart disease.
**Corn oil is a cholesterol-free food that contains 14g of total fat per serving.
Huevo en salsa turned out so well for us, packed with flavours. Loved all the spices and herbs in this dish.
That’s so awesome! Happy to hear you liked it.
This is making my mouth water, it looks super tasty! Can’t wait to try it out this week.
Glad to hear that you found this Huevo en Salsa recipe appetizing! I hope you enjoy making and eating it this week.
I made these eggs for breakfast this morning and they were incredible! Perfect way to start the day!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Huevo en Salsa recipe! It’s definitely a tasty and satisfying way to start the day.
This is one of my favorite ways to eat breakfast! So much flavor, and a great way to mix things up every now and then!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed this Huevo en Salsa recipe! It’s always nice to switch up breakfast and try new things.
I’ve tried salsa with eggs before, but never have I seen it like this, or with a tortilla. How delicious!
Thank you! Tortilla is a classic addition to Huevo en salsa and goes perfectly with the dish. Hope you make this recipe soon.