This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When a child says, “Mommy, I want fish for dinner,” you give the kid fish for dinner. No questions asked. Run out and catch the first fish you can find! Then, you have the problem of them actually eating the fish. Sigh… I know my Little Red will eat fried fish, but that defeats the whole “healthy fish” concept. He likes Asian flavors though. And what kid doesn’t like sweet stuff? If you’re looking for healthy food for kids, Teriyaki Salmon is perfect. It’s sweet but not like candy. Full of delicious flavors and good nutrients, this recipe is a keeper!
We eat a lot of ginger around here. Our acupuncturist ordered us to drink more ginger tea for kidney yang deficiency. Must follow the doctor’s orders! It’s another good-for-you and healthy food for kids. My son won’t drink as a tea, but if I cook with it, I have a better chance of him eating it. I usually keep ginger in the freezer. It seems to last longer that way. Wrap in plastic wrap and stick it in a freezer bag. It’s also easier to grate frozen. For the Teriyaki Salmon marinade, you can always substitute with powdered ginger. I gotta say, though, powdered ginger is kinda meh compared to the spicy, pungent fresh stuff … that we all know and love.
Hungry for More?
- Put all the ingredients in a resealable bag to marinate for 1 hour. 2 hours is better.
- Remove the fish and reserve the liquid.
- Over low to medium heat, cook the fish for 4-6 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the salmon steak.
- A few minutes before turning, brush the top with reserved marinade.
- It’s ready when the fish is opaque and easily flaked.
- Remove the fish from the heat and cover with foil.
- Add the remaining marinade to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour over fish when plated.
- Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
What is Your Favorite Healthy Food for Kids Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.