This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ensalada de Atún is a cold Mexican tuna salad that I know you’ll love.
It’s really easy. Just need a few ingredients, and lunch is served!
I like to serve it with tortilla chips, but saltine crackers or tostadas work too. Either way, it’s delicious.
- 6 cans of 5-oz tuna in water (or 3 big cans of 10oz tuna) – the total of drained tuna is 23 oz
- black pepper
- white onion – make sure it’s finely chopped
- Celery – this really adds texture
- Cilantro will give it freshness and flavor.
- roma tomatoes – so the salad won’t be too soggy, remove the seeds.
- pickled jalapeños – fresh jalapenos work too, but pickled jalapenos will give this dish tanginess and spice.
- Mayonnaise – You can add more or less mayo, if desired. Start with less, then adjust to your liking.
- Drain off the water from the tuna
- Place it in a large mixing bowl with the salt, black pepper, onion, celery, and cilantro.
- Mix until well combined.
When you add the tuna, break it up into finer pieces.
Not into raw onions? Omit completely or add Mexican pickled onions.
Here’s an idea for another recipe: Try this with cooked chicken.
Tuna is relatively inexpensive and perfect for other Mexican classics like Tortitas de Atun and Tostadas de Atun.
Is canned tuna healthy?
Yes! Canned tuna is healthy since it is rich in vitamin and a good source of protein. It also has healthy omega 3 essential fatty acids and more.
- Mix in the mayonnaise.
- Add the tomatoes and jalapenos.
- Stir until combined.
Nowadays, you can find Lime Mayonnaise which I highly recommend for this recipe.
Or, use regular mayo and a splash of lime.
For those of you who are NOT mayo fans, you can swap with Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Taste it. Adjust the season to your liking.
Once everything is combined, it’s ready to serve.
Be sure to serve right away or put it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Optional Additional Ingredients:
- Can green beans, drained
- Can peas and carrots, drained
Ensalada de Atún is a yummy Mexican dish that’s so stinking easy to prepare.
Serve with chips, saltine crackers, or tostadas.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Ensalada de Atún
- 6 5-oz tuna in water cans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 onion (finely diced)
- 1 celery stalk (finely diced)
- 1 cup cilantro (finely diced)
- 2 medium roma tomatoes (seeds removed and finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños chopped
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Corn chips, Saltine crackers, or Tostadas for serving
- Drain off all of the water from the tuna and break up into finer pieces.
- Place in a large mixing bowl then mix in the salt and black pepper.
- Add the onion, celery, cilantro and mix until well combined.
- Mix in the mayonnaise until it coats the ingredients well.
- Carefully mix in the tomatoes and the chopped jalapeno, stir until well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Serve or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply