This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coctel de Camarones (or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail) – This dish reminds me of Ensenada and the Valle de Guadalupe.
Baja California is AMAZING! Beaches, wine, and the best seafood! If you ever visit, you must check out the fish market in Ensenada.
My favorite thing to get whenever I go is a big bowl of this DELICIOUSNESS. Refreshing, spicy, and SO YUMMY.
These are all the ingredients you need to make this EASY Mexican appetizer.
Add more jalapeno and more hot sauce for a spicier dish.
Cucumber is also optional, but adds great texture.
What is the difference between ceviche and shrimp cocktail?
Ceviche is seafood (usually fish or shrimp) that is “cooked” in lime juice. It marinates for hours or overnight in the fridge before serving.
Shrimp cocktail is made of boiled shrimp. They are mixed with cucumber, jalapeno, and covered in a spicy tomato sauce. It is ready in minutes.
Pro Tip:Find shrimp that are already cleaned and deveined. That’s is the easiest way to make this recipe. Or, you will need to remove the digestive tract before cooking.
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp! Say what?! This dish is full of flavors that will mask the frozen yuckiness.
Optimal Shrimp Sizes:Medium to Jumbo size shrimp. This all depends on how you are going to serve it and the size of your bowl or cup. The smaller the cup, the smaller size shrimp to use.
How to thaw shrimp:
- Place shrimp in a large container of water. Let sit for 20 minutes, or until completely thawed.
- Or, leave in the fridge overnight. Use the next day.
- Boil the shrimp in water.
- Once the shrimp turn pink, discard the water.
- Let them cool completely.
To stop the cooking process, place them immediately in water. This will also prevent them from becoming tough.
The Name Game:
You might hear the names: Coctel de Camaron or Cocktail de Camarones.
Most people will use the name Coctel de Camarones, and that is what I call it.
All of these names are correct.
- Mix the tomato sauce, ketchup, and hot sauce.
- Pour this mixture over the shrimp, jalapeno, and cucumbers.
Ketchup adds sweetness, but some people will omit it for a lighter texture. That’s totally up to you.
The avocado goes last. Place it right on top when serving.
Or, you can also fold it in gently… Be gentle with the avocado, or it will fall apart on you.
How Long Does it Last?
Coctel de Camarones lasts 3-4 days in the fridge before it goes bad. Freezing is not recommended.
What to Serve with It?
To Make It an Appetizer: Serve with hot sauce, saltine crackers, tostadas.
Such a TASTY and FLAVORFUL recipe that’s so incredibly easy! Hope you enjoy.
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Coctel de Camarones, or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- Juice of 3 limes about ¼ cup
- 1 lb cooked medium-sized shrimp - peeled deveined, and tails removed
- 2 roma tomatoes finely diced
- 1 cucumber finely diced
- 1-2 jalapeños pepper seeded and finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice such as Clamato
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Hot pepper sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro - discard stems and leaves chopped
- 2 avocados - peeled pitted, and diced
- In a small bowl, mix the onion with the lime juice.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a separate and much larger bowl, add the shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- You can add more jalapeños, if you like it spicier.
- To the onions, add the tomato juice, ketchup, and hot pepper sauce.
- With a fork, whisk to combine.
- Then add the tomato-onion mixture to the shrimp bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the cilantro and avocados.
- Gently mix everything.
- Note: You can also top off the serving with the avocado instead of adding it to the mixture.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.