These Roasted Mexican Sweet Potatoes are always a hit.
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This vegan recipe is perfect for the whole family. It makes a great side dish to chile rellenos, Thanksgiving recipes, and more.
They come out crispy, tender, and so flavorful!
Don’t worry about the spice. I’ll show you how to adjust the heat.
Table of Contents
- Sweet Potatoes – Look for smooth outer texture and evenly shaped for easier peeling.
- Olive Oil – Swap out for avocado oil or vegetable oil.
- Ground Oregano – a little goes a long way.
- Ground Cumin – This spice will add depth and flavor to the dish.
- Paprika will give the sweet potatoes a delicious smokey flavor.
- Garlic Powder will make the perfect blend of spices.
- Chile de Arbol is spicy. For those of you who like it less spicy, try chili powder.
- Salt and Black Pepper for the best flavors.
To make this dish spicy sweet, add ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Wash, peel, and remove the sweet potato skins.
- Dice into 1-inch pieces.
If you’re not going to use them right away, submerge them into water.
When ready to use, be sure to pat them dry before seasoning.
For a sugary Mexican sweet potatoes recipe, try Camotes Enmielado.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oil and spices to the sweet potatoes.
- Toss to coat.
The spice mixture also makes a tasty Mexican seasoning for chicken, beef, pork, or as in this recipe, sweet potatoes.
Make a big batch and save in an airtight container for later.
How to Adjust the Heat:
Chile de Arbol is what gives this dish a kick. Omit, if you don’t like spicy food or try using chili powder instead.
The rest of the Mexican ingredients bring flavor, not spice.
- Spray the baking sheet with oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the baking tray in the oven.
Take out halfway through and turn so they can get crispy on all sides.
You can also do this in a large skillet, but they won’t come out crispy.
Next Thanksgiving, try this recipe next to Traeger Smoked Turkey
To Make in Skillet:
Heat oil and add seasoned sweet potatoes.
Stir occasionally over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Add ½ cup water, reduce to medium heat, and cover for 10 minutes.
Test a sweet potato to see if it’s fork ready.
To Make in the Air Fryer:
Preheat air fryer to 400°. Prepare as instructed. Place on a greased tray in air fryer basket. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stir once.
Other Mexican Side Dishes:
Once out of the oven, top with fresh cilantro or green onions and serve as a side dish.
Or, as an appetizer, with tortilla chips next to creamy guacamole or pico de gallo.
This Roasted Mexican Sweet Potatoes recipe is sure to please any taste buds. It’s an easy dish requiring just a handful of ingredients that’s loaded with deliciousness.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Roasted Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes well.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, add the sweet potatoes.
- Add the oil and spices.
- Toss to coat.
- Brush oil on the baking sheet.
- Spread the sweet potatoes out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Maggie Unzueta is the writer/blogger, photographer, recipe developer, videographer, and creator of In Mama Maggie's Kitchen. She has been developing easy and authentic Mexican food, Mexican-inspired recipes, and traveling tips since 2010. From family recipes to her extensive travels throughout Mexico, she brings traditional Mexican flavors from South of the Border and into your kitchen. Maggie has been featured in notable culinary websites and other media outlets. For more details, check out her About page.