This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pollo en Crema (or Creamy Chicken) is one of those dishes that will make you drool (like a fool). Creamy is dreamy.
What I love most about this recipe is how INCREDIBLY EASY it is to make. It takes minutes, giving you more time to spend with the ones you love.
Here are the ingredients for Pollo en Crema (or Creamy Chicken).
As you can see, this is already stuff you might have sitting in your fridge.
FYI: I’m showing you a full chicken in this picture, but you can use whatever cut of chicken you like.
- Start by adding salt and pepper to the chicken.
- Then searing it in a hot skillet.
Chicken thighs are more flavorful. Once it is brown on one side, turn the chicken and sear on the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Do you see that golden color? That means flavor. You can almost taste the Pollo en Crema (or Creamy Chicken)… YUM!
That chicken has been working hard so it needs to rest up a bit.
For these next steps, you want to have everything ready. It will go very quickly.
The Name Game
This recipe has many names including “Pollo con Crema,” “Pollo a la Crema,” and “Pollo Encremado.” Or as it is being called here, “Pollo en Crema.”
- Add butter to the skillet.
- Immediately add the onions.
- Cook for 1 minute and stir with your spatula.
Be very careful not to burn the onion. If it burns, you will have to start all over again.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet.
- They will take roughly 4-5 minutes to cook down.
It may look dry at first, but the mushrooms will give off liquid, releasing the juices on the bottom of the skillet.
That amazing juice is not on the loose because you’ve captured that deliciously savory mushroom flavor.
- This is the time to add the garlic.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan gently.
Options! You can also pour 1/4 cup of water to the skillet to release the juices.
If you decide to add water, just know that the cream sauce will be more thin and not as thick.
- Add the cream.
You can use heavy whipping cream or crema mexicana.
Some people will also use sour cream or milk. If you use milk, try using cornstarch diluted in water to thicken up the sauce.
More Creamy Mexican Recipes:
Chicken in Creamy Poblano Sauce (or Pollo en Crema de Chile Poblano)
Rajas con Crema
Calabacitas con Elote
- Add the chicken bouillon to the skillet.
- Stir everything to combine.
You will have a yummy and decadent sauce. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the skillet, and don’t forget to taste for salt.
If it needs more salt, add more chicken bouillon as needed.
Return the chicken to the skillet. That bird is happy to return. Who wouldn’t want to be swimming in a yummy cream sauce?
More Mexican Cream Sauces:
Chicken in Creamy Chipotle Sauce, or Pollo al Chipotle
Camarones en Crema
Espagueti a la Crema
- Turn the stove knob to low.
- Then, put a lid on the skillet for 5 minutes.
You want the sauce to thicken up slightly. Top off the chicken with chopped cilantro and green onions for color.
This dish is perfect for spending time together around the table with the ones you love. Hope you and your family enjoys.
Hungry for More?Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter for my latest recipes and videos.
Pollo en Crema (Creamy Chicken)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ onion diced
- 1 8- ounce container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Knorr Selects® Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or crema mexicana
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Add salt and pepper to both sides of the chicken.
- Sear the chicken on both sides.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- (Note: Chicken will not be fully cooked).
- Melt butter in the skillet and add onion.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic clove, chicken bouillon, and whipping cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes more, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with rice and veggies.
- If you use milk, try using cornstarch diluted in water to thicken up the sauce.