This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I like my sauces. You probably have seen some of my Instagram stories where I am constantly making salsa. This house will never be without salsa, or I’ll be 6 feet under. We have many saucy dishes in Mexico that are not very spicy but extremely flavorful like this Chicken in Creamy Poblano Sauce (or Pollo en Crema de Chile Poblano). And when no one is looking, I could lick the plate. You’re never at a loss when you make this sauce. 🙂
Learn How to Roast a Chile Poblano on the Stove
Chicken in Creamy Poblano Sauce (or Pollo en Crema de Chile Poblano) starts with roasted poblano peppers. Some people call them pasilla. We have so many words to describe things in Spanish. Trust me, it can get confusing. Roast the peppers. Cover them in plastic to let them steam for 10 minutes. Remove the charred skin. Open them up, and remove the seeds and veins from the inside. From here, rough chop the poblano pepper and set aside. Watch the video above for help!
You guys… Crema Mexicana is so good. It’s very versatile. You can use it in both sweet and savory dishes. I’m referring to the unsweetened kind here. Not the salted. There is a salted version which is also tasty. If you can’t find these at your local store, you can substitute with heavy whipping cream.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Lastly, put everything in your handy dandy blender and let ‘er rip. Blend until smooth and set this “awesome-sauce” aside.
Salt and pepper the chicken. Cook the chicken. I used boneless chicken breasts, but feel free to use whatever cut of chicken you prefer. Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the poblano sauce and cook for a few more minutes. Don’t let this cook too long or it will curdle. Serve with white rice to soak up all the yummy sauce. I like to add a couple of kernels of corn. That combination is just DELICIOUS. Chicken in Creamy Poblano Sauce (or Pollo en Crema de Chile Poblano), is a classic Mexican dish that is so good, it’s hard not to love. Hope you enjoy!
Chicken in Creamy Poblano Sauce (or Pollo en Crema de Chile Poblano)
- Season the chicken breasts with salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Place chicken in the pan.
- Cook until no longer pink in the middle, and the juices run clear.
- About 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan.
- Note: Don’t clean the pan yet. You’ll need it again.
- Meanwhile, roast the chile poblanos.
- Remove the skin, devein, and take out the seeds from inside.
- Cut and dice the chile poblano and add to the blender.
- Add the evaporated milk, the onion, garlic clove to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In the same skillet you cooked the chicken, melt the butter.
- Add the poblano sauce and chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Right before serving, add the Mexican crema and the corn kernels.
- Cook for 1 minute or until the corn kernels have been cooked.
- Immediately remove from heat and serve with white rice.