This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GrillGatingHero #GrillGating
It’s football season. YAY! I’m a big football fan. College football is something I look forward to each year. Maybe it was growing up next to two brothers and a dad who loved the sport, but to me, there’s nothing better than a good grill-gating get together on game day. These Dr Pepper® Chipotle BBQ Ribs make for the best huddle time eats. Rich and spicy. Slightly sweet and with that charcoal taste. Yum! Yum!
Kingsford® Charcoal, RITZ and Dr Pepper are a MUST in throwing the perfect fall tailgate gathering. On my last trip to Walmart, I picked everything for the weekend’s college bash.
You need a little something to munch on before you put anything on the grill. Don’t you agree? That’s where RITZ comes in. They tie you over while you’re waiting for the main dish to arrive. I like to top them off with cheese. Although, my Little Red likes to eat them all by themselves.
You’re going to love my recipe for Dr Pepper Chipotle BBQ Ribs. Surely we all agree that Dr Pepper is great for drink. But, have you ever cooked with it? This BBQ sauce is sweet and spicy. Gives the ribs that extra layer of deliciousness that any good grill gating food needs.
Blend the tomatoes and chipotle until smooth. You can also use 1 cup of ketchup. Tomatoes is just what I had on hand.
Set the sauce aside until ready to use. You can also make it ahead of time. That always helps when you want to spend more time with your guests and less time in the kitchen.
Share your own grill-gate recipes for a chance to be featured on the Grill-gating website. Just use #GrillGatingHero on Twitter and Instagram.
Next, warm up the Kingsford® Charcoal. Since the ribs are already cooked, the food comes together quickly. The Dr Pepper Chipotle BBQ Ribs only take a few minutes on each side. Just baste, turn and baste again, and done. It’s a TOUCHDOWN recipe! Hope you enjoy.
Dr Pepper® Chipotle BBQ Ribs
- For the Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce:
- 4 tomatoes chopped (or 1 cup ketchup)
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can Dr Pepper
- 1 cup cherry jam
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- For the Ribs:
- 1 slab or ribs
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- For the Dr Pepper Chipotle BBQ Sauce:
- Add the tomatoes, chipotle, and garlic cloves to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan, add the tomato mixture, Dr Pepper, jam, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Let it come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Be careful not to let it boil.
- The sauce will be thick.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Ribs:
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Apply the paprika seasonings to the ribs.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven 300 degrees F.
- Cover ribs with aluminum foil and place inside over for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- Get the grill ready.
- Apply a layer of BBQ sauce on the ribs.
- Cook on the grill covered for 15 minutes.
- Turn and apply another layer of BBQ sauce.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the grill.
- Let sit at room temperature at least for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with extra Dr Pepper Chipotle BBQ sauce.
Find these great products and more grill-gating inspiration here.
Your dishes are just right for guests to a BBQ,who are non vegetarians. I would recommend to non vegetarians. Thanks for sharing.
We always have vegetarian options at our game day. We have several vegetarians in our family, but for those who are not, these ribs really hit the spot!
Edyta at Innocent Delight
Amazing how simple that is. Football is huge in my house too so I will need to get these ribs asap 🙂
These ribs make game day that much better 🙂
I haven’t seen this combo. This looks absolutely incredible! I must try.
This is a great combo. Hope you give this recipe a try!
Looks so so easy and incredibly tasty! Can’t wait to try.
Yes and yes. Hope you enjoy!
My husband would be all over this. I suppose if I made this I might be able to survive an afternoon of football. 🙂
LOL. These ribs are perfect for game day.