This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Alambre de Res is a dish I learned at a taco stand run by people from Mexico City, living in Tijuana.
Being in a border town, you find a lot of people from different parts of Mexico, either going to or from the US.
In Durango (a northern state), we have Alambre de Res Norteño that are skewers. Can’t decide which version I like more. Both are incredibly scrumptious.
- In a large skillet, add bacon
- Cook it for about 3 minutes
- Then remove it and place it in a large dish
Bacon fat needs to be rendered. Don’t drain it, we’ll cook every ingredient separately. It helps in developing layers of flavors.
The fat is where it’s at!.
- Cook the red bell pepper and green bell pepper for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and place them in the large dish with the bacon.
You can use a combination of all bell peppers, or whatever you have on hand.
- Cook the onion for about 1 minute, and remove it.
- Place it in the large dish too.
Time for the diced onion to cook in bacon fat. Got that!
White, yellow, or red onions are fine for this recipe.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, and some Jugo Maggi. If you don’t like it, you can omit it.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, until meat is no longer pink
The beef is cut into 1-inch pieces.
What can I use instead of Jugo Maggi?
If you can’t find it, you can use oyster sauce or Worcestershire sauce instead.
- Return all the ingredients from the large dish to the pan.
- Mix well.
What kind of meat do you use?
It can be prepared with any type of meat that is chopped into small pieces. Traditionally, it’s made with beef strips. You can also make it with pork or chicken strips instead of beef.
- Pile 2 cups of shredded cheese on top of the meat mixture.
- Take the large skillet and place it under the broiler for a minute or until the cheese melts. Or, put a lid on the skillet for the cheese to melt.
What type of cheese do you use?
You can use Oaxaca cheese or any cheese that melts well, but I am using Monterey Jack.
Alambre de Res is a versatile dish with chunks of beef, bacon, bell pepper, onion, and a large dose of melted cheese on top.
Serve your Alambre de Res with your favorite salsa, tortillas, and enjoy!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Did you make this recipe? Please rate the recipe below!
Alambre de Res
- In a large skillet, add bacon.
- Cook bacon. About 3 minutes.
- Remove cooked bacon and place in a large dish.
- Do not drain the fat.
- Using the bacon fat in the skillet, cook the red bell pepper and green bell pepper.
- About 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cooked peppers and place in the large dish.
- Again, do NOT drain the fat.
- Using the same fat from the skillet, cook the onion.
- About 1 minute.
- Remove the cooked onion and place in the large dish.
- Again, do NOT drain the fat.
- To the skillet, add the beef strips, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, until meat is no longer pink.
- Return cooked bell peppers, cooked onion, and cooked bacon to the skillet.
- Add Jugo Maggi (if using).
- With your spatula, mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover with a lid or place under the broiler for 1-2 minute until cheese melts.
- Serve with tortillas and salsa.