These Instant Pot Chicken Tamales are ideal for any celebration. Incredibly tasty and ready in half the time, it’s hard not to love these yummy wrapped goodies. Hope you enjoy!
Now that my dad is in Baja California, Mexico, we have a bigger Father’s Day celebration. Last year, we went to Rosarito, lobster, gifts and more. It was a lot of fun! Not sure what we’re doing this year yet. All I know is that I’m making Instant Pot Chicken Tamales.
My dad is not much of a beef eater. That’s why I’m making tamales made out of chicken.
Shred the chicken and add the green tomatillo salsa. Cook on low heat. Make sure the mixture is wet. You want these to be saucy.
You can buy the masa already pre-made, or you can make it from scratch. Here is my recipe and instructional video.
Because we are making these tamales in an Instant Pot, make sure to fold them shorter than longer. The tamales can be fat, but not too tall, or the lid won’t fit.
Add water to the bottom. Assemble the tamales inside. Then place the lid.
Remember the hours and hours it normally takes tamales to cook? Well, these Instant Pot Chicken Tamales were done in almost half the time! Awesome, right?!! I couldn’t believe it. If you cut the cooking time, you can eat faster. I’m down for that!!
- For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups salsa verde
- ¾ lb chicken breasts - cooked
- For the tamales:
- 16 Corn Husks
- 4 cups prepared masa
- 1 cup of Water
- For the Filling:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil.
- Add the salsa verde.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Shred the chicken and add to the pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- (If you like it saucier, add more salsa verde).
- Turn heat off and let cool.
- To assemble Tamales:
- Soak the corn husks in a warm water for 30 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Smear a thin layer of prepared masa on each corn husk.
- To the middle of the masa layer, add a tablespoon of the chicken filling.
- Fold one side of the corn husk in.
- Fold the other side in.
- Fold the pointy top to the center of the tamale.
- Set aside.
- Repeat until there are no more corn husks left.
- Place the steam rack on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Place all the uncooked tamales on the rack, standing upright.
- Lock the lid in place.
- Turn the valve to "SEALING."
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook at high pressure 45 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking is done, let the steam release for about 10 minutes.
- Then turn the valve to "venting."
- It will release any leftover steam.
- Remove the lid very carefully.
- Place tamales on a plate.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.