This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs is the easiest way to make this summer time recipe. Delicious, flavorful, and done in no time. Who doesn’t love that?!
The other day, we were about to put ribs in the oven for 2 hours.. Because that’s how I always make them. Then it dawned on me: Why not put them in the Instant Pot? Half the time than regular ribs and just as delicious. You guys have to try this recipe for Instant Pot BBQ Ribs.
Once you remove the baby back ribs from the package, rinse them well and remove the back membrane.
On a cutting board, put the meaty part of the ribs down. Slide your fingers under the membrane and rip it off. Easy! You can also use a knife.
Mix all the spices for the rub. I even make a little extra and sprinkle it on top of my potatoes.
Rub a dub dub. Add the rub to the ribs on both side.
Cover them with plastic wrap and put the ribs in the fridge for several hours. Overnight is best. Sweet dreams. See you in the morning…
Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Add the ribs around the pot, kind of like a ring. No rosies or posies. Ring around the Instant Pot. lol. (See picture above).
Add the liquid. The first time I did this, I did not add the liquid smoke. My ribs were just meh … This ingredient is optional but HIGHLY recommended. It will give the ribs an smokey flavor.
Close the lid. Move the valve to “Sealed.”
Your Instant Pot BBQ Ribs will be done in half the time. We’re talking in under an hour, they are ready to eat. Can I just tell you how much I love my Instant Pot!
Once they are ready, remove from the Instant Pot and place them on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
Shhhhmear a thick layer of the BBQ sauce.
You can do the next step either in the oven or on the grill. In the oven for 10-15 minutes. Or on the grill for 10 minutes, on each side. Add as much BBQ sauce as you like.
Let rest for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with extra BBQ sauce. Hope you enjoy!
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
For the Spice Rub:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon whole oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For the Ribs:
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke optional* but recommended
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- To prepare the ribs, wash them and remove the membrane on the back.
- (Some ribs will already have the membrane removed).
- Mix all the spice rub ingredients - salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, and brown sugar.
- Stir well to combine everything.
- Add the spice rub to the ribs on both side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. Overnight is best.
- Remove ribs from the fridge.
- Add trivet to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Mix apple juice, water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in a container.
- Add the liquid mixture to the Instant Pot.
- Arrange the ribs around the rim of the Instant Pot.
- (If the ribs are already cut, place standing up).
- Close the lid. Move valve to SEALING
- Pressure cook on Manual at High Pressure for 16-25 minutes.
- For tender but still meaty ribs, 16 minutes.
- For falling off the bone ribs, 25 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will beep when finished. Allow natural release for 5 minutes.
- Then move valve to VENTING to release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid carefully.
- Remove the ribs from the Instant Pot and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce on both sides.
- Heat the broiler.
- Place the ribs in the oven for 5 minutes.
- (You can also do this on the grill).
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 4-5 minutes before slicing.
More Ribs Recipes and Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipes:
Grilled Ribs with Tamarind Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Grilled Country Style Ribs
Dr Pepper Chipotle BBQ Ribs
Spice Rubbed with Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
I really need to get an Instant Pot. To make ribs so easily is a game changer.
I needed these tips, my ribs never taste so good !!
That is it! I am going out to buy ribs right now. I am obsessed with the instant pot version of ribs but this looks amazing.
Yummy. This looks super delicious!
Oh wow! these looks like tasty and juicy ribs!