Instant Pot BBQ Ribs is the easiest way to make this summer time recipe. Delicious, flavorful, and done in no time. Who doesn’t love that?!
The other day, we were about to put ribs in the oven for 2 hours.. Because that’s how I always make them. Then it dawned on me: Why not put them in the Instant Pot? Half the time than regular ribs and just as delicious. You guys have to try this recipe for Instant Pot BBQ Ribs.
Once you remove the baby back ribs from the package, rinse them well and remove the back membrane.
On a cutting board, put the meaty part of the ribs down. Slide your fingers under the membrane and rip it off. Easy! You can also use a knife.
Mix all the spices for the rub. I even make a little extra and sprinkle it on top of my potatoes.
Rub a dub dub. Add the rub to the ribs on both side.
Cover them with plastic wrap and put the ribs in the fridge for several hours. Overnight is best. Sweet dreams. See you in the morning…
Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Add the ribs around the pot, kind of like a ring. No rosies or posies. Ring around the Instant Pot. lol. (See picture above).
Add the liquid. The first time I did this, I did not add the liquid smoke. My ribs were just meh … This ingredient is optional but HIGHLY recommended. It will give the ribs an smokey flavor.
Close the lid. Move the valve to “Sealed.”
Your Instant Pot BBQ Ribs will be done in half the time. We’re talking in under an hour, they are ready to eat. Can I just tell you how much I love my Instant Pot!
Once they are ready, remove from the Instant Pot and place them on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
Shhhhmear a thick layer of the BBQ sauce.
You can do the next step either in the oven or on the grill. In the oven for 10-15 minutes. Or on the grill for 10 minutes, on each side. Add as much BBQ sauce as you like.
Let rest for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with extra BBQ sauce. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke , optional* but recommended
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- To prepare the ribs, wash them and remove the membrane on the back.
- (Some ribs will already have the membrane removed).
- Mix all the spice rub ingredients - salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, and brown sugar.
- Stir well to combine everything.
- Add the spice rub to the ribs on both side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. Overnight is best.
- Remove ribs from the fridge.
- Add trivet to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Mix apple juice, water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in a container.
- Add the liquid mixture to the Instant Pot.
- Arrange the ribs around the rim of the Instant Pot.
- (If the ribs are already cut, place standing up).
- Close the lid.
- Pressure cook on Manual at High Pressure for 16-25 minutes.
- For tender but still meaty ribs, 16 minutes.
- For falling off the bone ribs, 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and full Natural Release.
- Open the lid carefully.
- While the ribs are cooking, preheat the oven to 450 Farenheit.
- Remove the ribs from the Instant Pot and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce on both sides.
- Place the ribs in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- (You can also do this on the grill).
- Remove and slice.
More Ribs Recipes and Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipes:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.