Pollo al horno con romero, or Roasted Rosemary Chicken. At my old house, we used to have a large bush of romero, or rosemary, in the backyard. It can grow out of control. Even from far away, there it was. The beautiful and earthy smell… The only thing I don’t like about romero bushes: spiders. And I mean the BIG, black scary ones that usually hide in the bush. Eek! That’s why you send a fearless husband to cut some for you. 🙂
Now, I just grow thyme and oregano in the backyard. Gotta admit. It’s kinda cool to grow herbs at home. If I had more room, I would grow another rosemary bush… maybe. During the summer, I grow tomatoes and sometimes squash. I’m not a gardener like my mom and grandmother. Those two can put a seed in concrete and make it grow. Until I become as skilled gardener, I’ll be buying my rosemary from the grocery store.
Have you ever made compound butter? Mmm.. Mmm… MMM! Everything is bettah with buttah. It’s really easy to make too. You can do this with just about any herbs – thyme, cilantro, sage, or a mixture of all the herbs imaginable. You can add a tablespoon or two to mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables to make them out of this world. How I’m using it here is for my Roasted Rosemary Chicken. The smell of romero in the oven is amazing! It’s worth fighting my fear of spiders… maybe.
Roasted Rosemary Chicken
- 8-10 pieces of your favorite cut of chicken skin on
- 4 tablespoons rosemary garlic compound butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- salt and pepper
- carrots optional
- potatoes optional
- Rosemary Garlic Compound Butter
- 1/4 cup rosemary finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 stick butter softened
- For Rosemary Garlic Compound Butter
- Soften butter. Mix the butter, rosemary, and garlic together until completely combined. Place in plastic wrap and shape into the form of a log. Put inside the frig until it firms.
- For the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven 450 degrees F.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Gently lift the skin without detaching it from the meat and add a tablespoon of the compound butter.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan along with carrots and potatoes, if using.
- Salt and pepper everything in the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes