Bean Pozole (Pozole de Frijol)
Bean Pozole (Pozole de Frijol) is an easy plant-based soup that is ready in minutes. Only a handful of ingredients are required to make this yummy and wholesome recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- shredded cabbage
- shredded lettuce
- sliced radishes
- diced onion
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
Add onion. Cook for 2 minutes.
Rinse the beans and hominy.
Add them to the pot.
Also add the salt, oregano, and garlic.
Stir to combine.
Pour in the vegetable broth.
Add the epazote, if using.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
Swap Out Options:
- This stew can also be made with black beans or regular pinto beans.
- Oregano - Whole or ground. If using whole, crush it in your hand slightly to break it up.
- Salt - Swap it out for chicken or vegetable bouillon for another layer of flavor.
- Olive Oil - You can use just about any type of oil - canola, corn, vegetable oil.
- Onion - Great tip! Dice ½ an onion. ¼ of the onions goes into making the soup. The other ¼ of an onion can be used as a topping.
- Garlic - This is fresh garlic, but you can also use 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Vegetable Broth - To keep this recipe vegan, use vegetable broth. However, you can also use beef broth or chicken broth.
- Epazote is completely optional but adds tons of flavor.
Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 2277mg | Potassium: 25mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 752IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg