When I was a kid in Mexico, my grandma would make me my “huevitos.” They were scrambled eggs served with a side of tortillas and salsa, of course. Sometimes, she would serve them with queso fresco, but they were always followed with great conversation and stories of when she was una niña. These breakfast tacos have stayed with me since then. They are super easy-to-make and always a big hit with my picky eater.
Naturally, I think about her more during the Holidays because her food just rocked! Humbly speaking, I think I’m a pretty good cook, but my abuelita killed it in the kitchen. Some people have strong convictions on how to make scrambled eggs. This is her version, and my favorite way of making them even after all these years.
Her secret ingredient: MILK. It fuels a better future. It fueled me, and I was her future. So naturally, I have to fuel my Little Red. He loves his breakfast tacos in the morning, and I see it as a much, much better alternative to sugar-laden cereal.
She normally served her breakfast tacos with salsa or guacamole. Here’s a tip: when you’re mashing avocados for guacamole, add a little milk to get them going. The creamy texture from the guacamole and creamy eggs, it’s a TOTAL WINNER! Can’t forget some green onions for a little extra flavor.
These soft and creamy breakfast tacos will wow your brunch guests. Or, if you want to start off your day with a hearty and delicious breakfast. Enjoy!
Breakfast Tacos: Scrambled Egg Tacos
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Make sure the egg yolks are broken and completely combined.
- Heat butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- Add eggs to the pan and with a spatula, gently stir.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Turn heat off.
- The eggs will still be a little runny.
- Continue stirring until they have completely finished cooking.
- Serve immediately on top of warm tortillas.
- Top with guacamole or salsa, and green onions.