I think there’s a big misconception when it comes to Mexican food. Not all Mexican food is fried and fatty. There are plenty of vegetarian dishes Americans don’t know about… tacos of cheese and pasilla chili, beans and chili stir fries, zucchini flower enchiladas…. my mouth is watering! For Meatless Monday, I bring you… (drum roll please)… Spicy Mushroom Quinoa Salad! Ta da!
I used coconut oil to sautee the onions and the mushrooms. I don’t just cook with the stuff, I also put coconut oil on my face, skin, hair. Love me my coconut oil!
Pinto beans are a must in any Mexican family. I remember being a kid and going to the local “tortilleria” (or tortilla shop) where you buy freshly made tortillas, and if you take an empty stock pot, you can buy cooked beans. Not having beans in my house like not having a living room. I always have cooked quinoa too. Why not marry the two? I now pronounce you DELICIOUS! Quinoa is an excellent food for diabetics too. It’s a low glycemic food.
Spicy Mushroom Quinoa Salad is super fast to make too especially if you already have the quinoa and beans cooked and ready to use. I guess you could use a can of pinto beans, but please don’t tell my mother I recommended it. It’s sacrilegious in Mexico to use canned pinto beans. If you don’t like it too spicy, take out the chipotle.
Healthy and delicious: Spicy Mushroom Quinoa Salad. Lunch never looked better. iBuen provecho!
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 package 8 oz Crimini Mushrooms , sliced
- ½ Onion , sliced
- 1 cup Pinto Beans, cooked
- 1 Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 dash Ground Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Chipotle Pepper , minced
- ½ package 5 oz Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 cup Quinoa, cooked
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and onion. Sauté until onions are translucent. About 3 minutes. Add pinto beans, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, chipotle, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook everything together for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach. Cook for 2 more minutes, or until spinach is completely wilted. In a large bowl, add quinoa and mushroom mixture. Combine everything together. Serve and enjoy!