Today’s post is sponsored by Mezzetta, but my love for their delicious foods is all my own!
***GIVEAWAY DETAILS BELOW***
As a kid, we would head back to Mexico for Christmas. It was madness. Abuelitas cooking. My primos running around. If you dared cross the kitchen, you would be handed a spoon to help with the cooking. We always had a big pot of beans for quick meals during the busy Christmas time. Even to this day, I almost always have them on hand for that purpose. The other day, after HOURS at my son’s school, I made him Bean and Nacho Cheese Tostadas and topped them with Mezzetta TAMED jalapeños.
- 6 tostadas
- ¾ cup pinto beans, cooked and mashed
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper
- Optional Toppings:
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Additional Mezzetta Red Peppers
- In a small pan, add the butter and flour. Combine until it begins to bubble. Slowly add milk. Whisk constantly. Add cumin, salt, and pepper. Continue whisking until it is thick, and there are no lumps. Add cheddar and stir until it is melted.
- To assemble: Place tostada on a plate, add bean spread, lettuce, additional red peppers (if using), and cheese sauce. Top with jalapenos, if using.
Every mom has her bag of tricks. For me, if I say, “Hey, Little Red! I’m putting nacho cheese on your tostada.” The answer I’ll get is, “YES PLEASE!” Then again, tell that to any adult, and they’ll have the same response. They might not know what a tostada is, but nacho cheese has a universal YUM sound after it.
I prefer to make nacho cheese at home. If you make it at home, you control what you put in it. Me, I like me some cheddar. Pronounced “ched-DAH” in my house. I also added some Mezzetta red peppers for sweetness. For more recipes using Mezzetta products: CLICK HERE
“Tostadas” are simply hard tortillas. Like tortilla chips but not chopped into pieces. Spread some beans and add a bunch of toppings. They’re super easy to make, saving you more time to make more Christmas tamales.
I’m your typical Mexican. Spicy food is a NEED not a want. I will add my salsas or hot this or that to MY plate. My son is only 7, and it takes time to develop the Muy-Caliente-Por-Favor palate. Even back in Mexico, kids don’t eat the crazy hot salsa. It’s happened a few times when my Little Red just takes my plate after sampling. The Mezzetta “tamed” jalapeños allows me to eat MY dinner and he to eat HIS dinner. The only thing to remember is who had the hotter jalapeños on their Bean and Nacho Cheese Tostadas.
There’s a Daily Gift Basket giveaway on the Mezzetta website: CLICK HERE Plus you can download a $.50 off coupon for your Holiday recipes. The giveaway will run through December 31st. To enter, entrants must visit Mezzetta and enter your name, email, address and favorite holiday memory. Each day a winner will be selected at random. Prizes will be shipped within 2 weeks.
Mezzetta Favorites Holiday Gift Basket (31 Winners – Daily) includes:
• 100% Italian Estate Grown Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Golden Greek Peperoncini
• Garlic Stuffed Olives
• Castelvetrano Olives
• Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives
• Roasted Marinated Red & Yellow Sweet Bell Peppers
• Cocktail Onions
• 1 Apron (from House Party contents)
• 1 Metal Olive Spoon (from House Party contents)
• 1 Tote Bag (from House Party contents)
• 1 Ceramic Bowl